Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square outlines?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
raymondwganderson
254 Views, 4 Replies

Square outlines?

Hello Folks,  Can anyone tell me what these squares are. All my modelling is done in Mcad software [ Brep ] and taken into Max as an stp file. I can delete the squares without it affecting anything I do, i'm just curious as to what they are.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

It looks like they could be dummy objects. Click on File, Summary Info..., to see if the file contains dummies.

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 5

@leeminardi , Many thanks, what exactly are dummy objects ?  and do they actually come from the cad model?  They certainly have no effect on anything I need to do.  Maybe they are for animations, I just don't know.

Message 4 of 5

Dummy objects are typically used when rigging a model for animation.  They can provide a reference point for other objects.  You can probably ignore them and perhaps delete them if you do not have objects moving with respect to each other.

lee.minardi
Message 5 of 5

@leeminardi , Thanks for your help with this, they are indeed dummies [ see attached screenshot ] I delete them as a matter of course as I don't do animations.  [ just wish they were not created in the first place ] still it does not effect my work.

many thanks 👍

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report