Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIMPLE UVW mapping problem 3DS Max 2018

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4800 Views, 8 Replies

SIMPLE UVW mapping problem 3DS Max 2018

Its been a while since I used MAX but I cannot for the life of me apply UVWmapping like I use to be able to!

The "Fit" and "Region Fit" options are greyed Out (the two most useful options!) any idea what I am doing wrong. 

Your post subject line has been edited by @hagen.deloss: SIMPLE UVW mapping problem

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JamesClarke3D
in reply to: Anonymous

I assume you're talking about the "UVW Map" modifier, in which case I bet you have Real-World Map Size enabled. Disable that and the Fit/Region Fit options are enabled:

uvw.gif

---------------------------
| LinkedIn | @SnipeyX |
Message 3 of 9
hagen.deloss

Hello @Anonymous

Thanks for coming to the forums with your question! I would love to help you have the best UV Unwrapping experience you can, it's one of the most gratifying parts of making 3D objects in my opinion.

What version of 3DS Max are you using?

@JamesClarke3D great tip for the UVW map!

With the Unwrap UVW modifier, the default the fit option is greyed out until you choose what shape of a map to use, and then it should be able to be selected. Here is a shot gif illustrating that.unwrap_fit_tool.gif

It looks like different settings become available to be selected depending on what sub-object mode you are in, try switching between vertex, edge and polygon and see if the setting becomes available.

If I misunderstood your question, please clarify and I can further assist you, talk to ya soon 😄

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 4 of 9
hagen.deloss

Hello @Anonymous

I wanted to check back and see if @JamesClarke3D or I's post helped you with your problem. It would be super helpful if you could add a post with how you decide to proceed, and your results. That way other Community members can benefit from your process

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

Hagen Deloss

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Thanks very much everyone, yeah simple mistake!

Due to a number of Issues through I have now also installed 3dsMax2016 (which I feel far more confident with)...was not happy with the fact that NVidia Mental Ray Renderer was not included with 2018.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JamesClarke3D

Yep that was it!

Message 7 of 9
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous

It's great to hear that the previous post helped you out! If you do re-install Max 2017-2019 at any point, you can download Mental Ray through Nvidia's site here, they have their own support channels for the product now, but I can still help out if you come back to the forums too 😄

Hagen Deloss

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I have also faced this problem and started googling directly oh what to do, but actually I just forgot to exit "Edit Poly" mode. Silly mistake 🙂

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: JamesClarke3D

not all the hero's wear cape , im really thank you for this solution i was kinda near to reinstall the app xD , ty so much again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report