Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scene states manager missing.

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
gwil2
4859 Views, 32 Replies

Scene states manager missing.

I have this problem and none of the solutions work. I installed sp3 and Tools-Manage Scene States worked until the next software restart. Now it doesn't work.

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: gwil2

Hello @gwil2 and welcome to the community,

I'd like to help with this.  Can you please attach your 3dsmax.ini file so I can check it out?  Are you running 3ds Max as admin or on an admin account?  What else can you tell me about your problem?  Error messages?  Please describe what happens when you open the scene states manager.  Did it ever work or did it suddenly stop working?  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 33

The scene state manager just does nothing. No check mark. I have run as admin and tried the new user suggestion as well, and added as suggested in the post.:

[DialogResizer_SizeAndPositions]

MXSDebugFloater=270 223 582 429 1
SceneStateManageDialog=0 0 264 234 1

Also repaired, uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and still no go. Worked only one time I think after installing SP2 but could be mistaken. Didn't work after next restart. Only been using since August and just now need to start using Scene states for batch rendering.

Installed 2016 and it works fine. Compared ini files but no obvious differences. Would revert to 2016 but don't have time to fix all the non-backwards compatibility issues.

Is there any other access to this feature? Tried a hotkey and no go. A macro or something that would force it to run?

2017 ini attached (as .txt because forum gave error, invalid extension?!?)

Thanks,

Gord Wilson

gwilson@cleanseedcapital.com

Message 4 of 33

Hello @gwilson9H32B,

Thank you for the information.  The command to bring up the window is:  

actionMan.executeAction -1682387772 "4112"

However I have my doubts as it whether that will work or not if it's not coming up already.  I'd imagine the button enters the exact same command.  Can you please try the following items for me?  Thank you for doing so.  

If the Manage Scene States dialog will not open, there are several things that may help gain access to the missing window:
  1. Install the most recent Service Pack/Update for the product.
  2. Reset the INI (*.ini) file or the User Preferences to their defaults.
  3. Reset the Workspaces within 3ds Max, as sometimes these can become corrupted and cause UI and Viewport related issues.
  4. Change the UI Scheme to "Modular Toolbar."
  • In the main 3ds Max toolbar, go to Customize > Custom UI and Defaults Switcher.
  • In the dialog window, change the UI scheme to "ModularToolbarsUI."
User-added image

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 33

Hello @gwilson9H32B@gwil2,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on your issue?

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 33
gwil2
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thanks but none of the suggestions fix the problem.

Message 7 of 33
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @gwil2,

I just wanted to double check that you reset your user settings.  Is that correct?  Are you using any custom workspaces?  Is there some kind of workplace group security policy in place that would possibly interfere?  

Did you create the scene?  Is there a chance the menu is off screen on a monitor that doesn't exist for you?  Any more info you can give me would be great.

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 33
gwil2

Yes I have tried all of the suggestions, reset everything, no security, not off-screen. Reinstalled and repaired several times. 

And as mentioned, it works in my 2016 install but not 2017.

Seems to me it's a bug not a user setting and someone should be working on SP4 to address it, especially as it seems to be a bug that dates back years and years.

Message 9 of 33
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @gwil2,

Reinstalling and repairing wouldn't do much unless you manually cleaned up the ENU folder, so you don't have to bother with that again moving forward.  The issue has been logged into the bug tracker in the past but unable to reproduced.  This may be possibly related to MaxStart.max files created in previous versions of Max but opened in 2017, or a problem with workspaces.   Are you using any custom workspaces?  How about a MaxStart.max scene?  

Do you use any 3rd party plugins? 

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 33

Any real fix for this yet?  Kind of makes doing my job really hard

Message 11 of 33

Hello @renderlens and welcome to the community,

There is a possible workaround for people with custom workspaces that was found just a couple days ago in a phone support case.  This issue isn't able to be reproduced with a default installation.  For all the testers, going to Tools->Manage Scene states or Pressing X and then typing scene states will bring up the Manage Scene States window.  

There was a case where a custom workspace was creating the problem, caused by an unknown script that modified the .cuix files.  I have pasted that solution below.  If this fixes the problem for you, it would be great to know about your custom scripts, plugins, etc. so I can figure out which plugin or script causes this problem.  Thanks for that.  

------

When 3ds Max launches, it loads a default "template" first which may (or may not) include a separate workspace file. The template launches, then a workspace file can launch afterwards. However, a template file does not need to include a separate workspace file, and creating a new default template without a workspace may fix these reset issues. To do this:

1.Create a new, "clean" 3ds Max scene file and set the scene preferences exactly as desired (2.5D snaps, vertex and snap settings, Material Editor settings, UI colors, etc.)

2. Save this scene file as the default, with a custom name (it doesn't necessarily need to be "maxstart.max.")

3. Go to Help > Welcome Screen > Open Template Manager. Create a new Default Template by clicking on the Add New button in the bottom left, and point it to the 3ds .max scene file created in the above step. (Check the Scene File button in the middle of the menu and Select/Browse to that file.)

4. If the Workspace button is checked, uncheck it. A modified workspace file connected to the template may end up overwriting the initial template after launch with different settings. Unchecking the Workspace button and resaving the template helps ensure the saved template takes precedence first.

5. Set the new Template as the Default and then click on Done.

6. Other Workspace troubleshooting suggestions: if loading custom workspaces afterwards, uncheck the Ribbon settings (don't load them) and avoid using Enhanced Menus.

7. If possible, avoid launching and working in multiple copies of 3ds Max on the same machine – that can increase the chances of workspace/user preferences corruption.

8. Finally, avoid running scripts that change/overwrite saved, customized user preference .CUIX files.

Best Regards,

Message 12 of 33
gwil2

No scripts or custom workspaces. Pressing X and entering manage scene states causes the checkmark to appear in the Tools menu, but the dialog doesn't appear, and it is def not off screen.

Clicking Manage........... in the Tools menu does not produce the checkmark, nor can I uncheck it from there.

Message 13 of 33
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thank you for the update @gwil2.  Can you try the workspace suggestion anyway, just to see if it helps?  I really appreciate it, I'd like to solve this one. 

Best Regards,

Message 14 of 33
renderlens

If it helps, I opened max on another "user" on my desktop and scene manager came up once, but if I closed the program and reopened the program scene manager no longer came up.

Additionally, after uninstalling and reinstalling max, my primary admin account and my other user account replicated the "scene manager opens once"
Message 15 of 33
gwil2

Thanks, yes same thing here. Tried several re-installs and new user. At least once the manager opened but next session it didn't.

Same thing happened when I installed 2016. As I recall it worked for more than one session in 2016 but eventually stopped working altogether.

Alfred, I have tried all suggestions including resetting the workspace, which I tried twice again today, with no change. Can you send me/us the startup file that works for you?

Message 16 of 33
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @gwil2,

Of course, I will do anything I can for you.  I have attached it here.  

I also went back through the thread and looked at the differences between our lines of code.  
Yours:

SceneStateManageDialog=0 0 264 234 1

Mine:  

SceneStateManageDialog=896 192 1141 420 1

It's those first two zero's which intrigue me on second look here.  Are you both using multiple monitors?  If so, is Max your primary monitor?  Is it possible that it's off screen?  Just on a hunch, can you try something for me?  Please don't click or anything in between these steps.  

1) Press to open the scene states manager on the Tools menu.

2) Press Alt-Spacebar

3) Press Down Arrow 1 time (only)

4) Press Enter

5) Press Down Arrow 1 time

6) Move your mouse around.  

Does it show up?  

Best Regards,

Message 17 of 33

I tried the keystroke to restore the windows and bring out the scene state manager but it did not work, sadly. 

When I booted my computer this morning, the first time I opened max, the scene state manager would open as planned. I could close it and reopen the dialog, but once I closed max and reopened it I could not get the manager to open. I even tried shutting down and rebooting but could not replicate anything. 

I checked my ini file "SceneStateManageDialog=124 196 388 430 1"

Message 18 of 33

Thanks @renderlens,

Can you please tell me a bit about your monitor setup and graphics card?  Is it a laptop with a docking station and multiple monitors?  (That sort of thing.)  There must be some part of the equation I'm not seeing.  I realize all the questions are frustrating but I need to nail down the catalyst here.  Thanks so much!

Best Regards,

Message 19 of 33

Alfred, having a back and forth on this support forum got rid of a ton of
concern for me, thank you.

I am running two monitors off of my desktop, which is running a geforce

Although I believe I found a solution to the scene manager problem on my
end. I have a 3dconnexion mouse hooked up to my system, and I haven't used
it in a month so I took the driver off of my computer. Now the scene state
manager appears and functions fully.

--
Chris / ERCH
510-529-1732
Message 20 of 33
gwil2

I have 3 monitors, a Quadro K2200 video card and also use a 3dconnexion mouse.

I use it for 3ds Max and Proe and I can't get rid of it, but I'll try uninstalling to see if it fixes the problem for me as well when I have some time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report