Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Edit Working Pivot" not working (Max 2018, Update 1)

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
nocountryforyoungmen
3169 Views, 23 Replies

"Edit Working Pivot" not working (Max 2018, Update 1)

Basically when attempting to edit the working pivot via the Hierarchy tab, the gizmo will stay glued to the position of the objects pivot, no matter what I do - in transform and in rotate mode. This breaks scripts as well (which align the working pivot to sub-object selections).

Tags (3)
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

I can't seem to edit my message, but the following is actually the case: The working pivot is shown to be at 0,0,0 - and stays at 0,0,0 whatever I try doing in edit mode.

Editing the regular object pivot works fine.

Message 3 of 24

I confirm. That terrible. 😕

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
Message 4 of 24

I'm amazed it got through without anybody noticing. Shameful, really. Back to 2014 then, the Max2018 ride is still too bumpy.

(Thanks for confirming the bug)

Message 5 of 24

I experience the same problem editing pivot in Hierarky panel.

Have this been confirmed by Autodesk as a bug?

Any solutions in work?

Message 6 of 24

Confirming this bug happens to me as well.

Autodesk, has this been logged?  

Message 7 of 24
RobH2
in reply to: davision

I can confirm that I also cannot get the 'Working Pivot' to move. 

There is a simple workaround for now. Export the .max file back to version 2017, move the Working Pivot and save it. Open the 2017 .max file in Max 2018 and the Working Pivot will be where you placed it. It stuck for me anyway and worked fine back in 2018. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 24

Also confirming that "Edit Working Pivot" it is not working.

Just submitted a bug report in case no one else has (Help->Speak Back->Report a Problem).

Message 9 of 24

@Alfred.DeFlaminisIs there an ETA for a new update / hotfix / bugfixing release?

Message 10 of 24

Hello @nocountryforyoungmen,

The truth is I am not permitted to reveal release dates of updates and service packs.  What I can say is that this issue is logged (by me) as 'Critical' in the tracker.  

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 24

Have anyone found solution for working pivot except rolling back version(which is quite unstable)? Two months have passed since update 1 and I can't find any way to make working pivot work(which is quite fundamental function for me). 

Message 12 of 24

I don't think there is a workaround. You can use the old fashioned method of picking a custom pivot/coordinate system which uses a separate object as it's target.
Message 13 of 24

Hello @RedTechDigit,

The next update is scheduled to come out relatively soon.  I can't say when it releases however, but it shouldn't be long now.  

Best Regards,

Message 14 of 24
RobH2
in reply to: davision

@RobH2 wrote:
There is a simple workaround for now. Export the .max file back to version 2017, move the Working Pivot and save it. Open the 2017 .max file in Max 2018 and the Working Pivot will be where you placed it. It stuck for me anyway and worked fine back in 2018. .

There is a workaround if you have Max 2017...(from my post #7 in this thread)

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 15 of 24

This one is taking time. Hopefully we have a fix for this in a near future
bugfix/update. Autodesk have taken notice.
Message 16 of 24

Hello @mathias.lyckesand,

Although this was logged a while back, I really appreciate when people report issues on the forums.  I will log them into the tracker if they didn't already exist and sometimes issues don't generate CER Reports so they can go unnoticed until reported.  

So even though this issue was already reported and worked on internally, I thank you for reporting any issues that you find regardless.  

Best Regards,

Message 17 of 24

Hello @nocountryforyoungmen@mathias.lyckesand@RobH2@davision@RedTechDigit

2018 update 2 released today which fixes this issue.  Please download and install it from the desktop app or manage.autodesk.com.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 18 of 24
RobH2
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

"woohoo!"

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 19 of 24
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: RobH2
Message 20 of 24
RobH2
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Good to hear.

I think we are all feeling a little bit raw over this being that we are only 6-months out from 2019. I'm even a little embarrassed because I was on the Beta for 2018 and caught neither "Working Pivot" nor the "RighClick Custom Buttons" issues. 

At least it's behind us now. 

Thanks for the update. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report