Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with texture alignment

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1992 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with texture alignment

Hello,

I'm facing a longlasting problem with 3ds max. I'm trying to export .fbx files to later use in the Unity engine.

The problem is, when i have a look at the object, the textures are missplaced. Everything looks fine in Max

but the coordinates or the rotation of textures is not saved within the file. I have applied a UV map, but that didn't do much. I want my textures to be saved as they are shown when i'm editing them.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous 

Thanks for bringing your question to the forums, it looks like you are visiting as a new member to the 3DS Max forum. I want to extend a warm welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Looks like the UV's are offset...does this happen with all models you export or just this example piece of road geometry? do you collapse the modifier stack before exporting to FBX?

If you re-import the fbx object into 3ds Max again, is the texture still offset?

Looking forward to chatting with you soon!

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

When i import the file back into 3ds max it looks as intended. I can't edit it much since the material editor doesn't show the materials used, and it's treated as a single object non-editable, and i made it from at least 3.

I used various sources to view the fbx file and they showed the same result. This happens all the time, with every object i create. I have not edited the uv map i just added it there, but with or without it's the same. And i did not collapse anything, it is required with the Fbx file format? Only warning i get upon export is something about geometry and a number of polygons or something. I'm sorry i'm just a beginner.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I have only applied the UVmap modifier and that's all. I also tried the UVunwrap modifier, but i'm not skilled enough to fiddle with that, as it doesn't work like it does in the single tutorial i found. I am currently testing this on a circular shape.  

I've attached the original project and the result. Adding neither modifier makes any difference.

Message 5 of 7
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous 

I was able to reproduce this issue. I am unsure if the issue is within 3ds Max or within Unity itself. Here are my test scene screenshots.

Screenshot (695).png

Screenshot (694).png

I don't think you are doing anything wrong with your workflow. I did find a few threads on this issue within the Unity forums here (from 2011). Though I'm not seeing a mention of any issues in the Unity documentation here...

I will do some more digging and get back to you regarding this, thanks!

Hagen Deloss

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: hagen.deloss

Thanks for the feedback, i happens with every object i create as i've shown you.

Maybe it's the fbx file it self? Are there any other file formats it could use?

It's not a problem with unity trust me, this happens with all software that i tried to have a look a the files with.

3D Viewer was the fastest option to view the file.

I've tried to mess around with UV unwrap. unsuccessfully. Because i managed to define a region where the texture

should stop stretching, but it still appeared messed up anyways. Planar and Cubic shapes don't face this problem that much.

Perhaps it has something to do with the way i set up materials? I put a bitmap on the difuse color, in a standard scanline.

Message 7 of 7
hagen.deloss

@Anonymous 

I think it has to do with the material properties. I don't think the FBX export is incorrect either, i think its just that the material type isn't compatible with Unity, so your UV material tiling and rotations aren't being saved. You would either need to create a custom material within Unity to hold these coordinates, or unwrap the asset and create the exact material you want to be projected onto the mesh.  

Here is an example video 

Hagen Deloss

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report