Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem when i build a door

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
865 Views, 9 Replies

Problem when i build a door

Hi, in attached image you can see my problem.

when i build a door, this door don't destroy the wall, why?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, i am not entirely sure but i think for AEC doors and windows, to have the automatic holes creation, you need AEC Walls.

But if you have AEC Walls and you used the snap tool to align the door with the wall and still have this problem, you will need to link your door to the wall, make the door a child of the wall. Sometimes, you have to link those objects manually to work correctly.

How to work with wall objects: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/3DSMa...

Message 3 of 10
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

@Anonymous is correct, you need to link the door to the walls for this to happen.  If it still doesn't work, nudge the door a tiny bit away or toward the wall and it should pop the boolean out.  If you want to attach a file I will take a closer look, but I think Eric nailed this one.

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Well, now there is another problem.

In attached image you can see my new problem.

Why i can build doors only in this position ?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hi, maybe you can just rotate the door 90°?

Message 6 of 10
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

@Anonymous is right again.  You should be able to make your door at any angle you want if snapping isn't on.  When you first go to click and create it, drag the other direction instead.  If you are duplicating the old door, then all you have to do now is rotate it with the angle snap on to get an exact 90 degrees.  It's the magnet that looks like a little angle between two lines/compass on the snapping toolbar. 

I'll admit sometimes the doors can be tricky to create due to all the clicking.  Creating a helix always takes me 2 tries because I forget about one level of clicking I need to do.  For doors, after the first click just drag the direction you want the width to be and then let go.  Should work and if you have issues I'll make a video showing it.

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Done. Now the last question.

the room you can see in the IMAGE has a width of 500 cm

The wall has a width of 10 cm (Justification = LEFT)

The door has a width of 80 cm

How to put the door at 20cm from the wall?

What is the calculation to do?

Message 8 of 10
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

I made a quick video to show you two ways to do this.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

I have no questions, the video is perfect 😄 thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad it's working for you.  I went ahead and marked @Anonymous's answer too since it answers the first part of your question, that way the solution to both issues is right on top.  Just wanted to let you know.  Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report