Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precise Movement by Values - Similar to Blender

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
partycat35
563 Views, 8 Replies

Precise Movement by Values - Similar to Blender

I would like to know is there a way or plugin to allow us move/rotate/scale thingies much more precisely by entering values similar to how it is in Blender?

In a more detailed explanation, 3DS Max's move tool shows only 3 digits after 0. whereas Blender shows 6 digits. Thus allows a much more precise positioning.

Here are the screenshot examples.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
darawork
in reply to: partycat35

Hi,

I think there is an answer here, not that I fully understand it, but you might:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-programming/decimal-precision/m-p/8326718/highlight/true#M209...

You can also increase the spinner precision here:

darawork_0-1696258607957.png

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 9
leeminardi

Both Blender and 3ds Max have single precision floating point data bases.  This means that precision is limited to about 7 significant digits (1 part in 16,777,216 or 2^24 to be precise) for both systems.  The more digits to the left of the decimal point the fewer to the right.  For example, coordinates of  less than 1 could have 7 or more decimal places of precision where as a point at 10000 would be limited to about 3 decimal places.   The number of decimal places displayed may not be representative of the actual precision.

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 9
partycat35
in reply to: darawork

I could have gave you a box of chocolates now :chocolate_bar::chocolate_bar::chocolate_bar: you can't know for how long I was needing this 😭😭 Always trying to zoom in a lot and trying to prevent my hand shaking or accidentally moving the mouse too much, and trying so many times back and forth by moving it with viewport move tool.....

I just can't thank you enough but truly thank you so so much from heart 🥺🥺❤️❤️❤️
Message 5 of 9
partycat35
in reply to: leeminardi

Oh thank you so much. I am actually quite ok with having only 2 digits at the left of decimal, since I mostly work with small stuff and the big stuff I can just move with viewport move tool (the one you move with mouse I mean).

But having to precisely place something just a few milimeters next to something else was being extremely difficult. Because the viewport move tool is moving the objects quite a lot than I want and it's ending up either getting to far away from the other object or way too much close that it just clips through 😥😥

That's why I was always needed to do the movement with numbers instead of doing it at 3d viewport. But so much thankfully darawork helped me a lot lot lot about this 🙈🙈😊
Message 6 of 9
darawork

Hi, 

No worries. Thank Google really, hehe. 

Also, did you know you can hold down [ALT] key while dragging transform spinners with the mouse, so as to get fine movement? I didn't until a few months ago.

Regards, 

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 7 of 9
partycat35

Oh. I didn't know that one. Although I tried but it didn't change the movement speed for me. It works in Blender though, but couldn't get it working in my 3DS.

Tried Ctrl too (it makes it faster in Blender) but that one also doesn't seem to have any effect. I'm at 2023 version.

Checking the Hotkey Editor but can't find something related to it, maybe I'm searching wrong keywords 😞
Message 8 of 9
darawork

Hi,

That sounds a bit strange. Just make sure you are doing the right sequence of pressing and moving. You have to click on the actual little black arrows to get it to work.

https://jamiesjewels.typepad.com/jamies_jewels/2011/11/105-3dsmax-quicktip-spinners.html

Regards,

Darawork
AutoDesk User

Message 9 of 9
partycat35

You mean the X,Y,Z axises show up with the Move Tool right? Or is it something else, mines are not black arrows. X is red, Y yellow and Z is blue in mine, but perhaps it is because of my version.

Couldn't find that panel in the link. Not sure how to open it honestly, maybe there is something I need to change in there, or by an accident I overwritten those buttons 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report