Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Menus shrink on dual monitor system

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
leeminardi
170 Views, 3 Replies

Menus shrink on dual monitor system

I have a dual monitor system where monitor #1 is larger and has a finer resolution than monitor #2.

If the 3ds Max window fills, or is smaller than screen #1 and monitor #2 has no active component relative to Max then clicking a menu item will result in normal text size.  For example, clicking on Scripting you get:

leeminardi_0-1711045110305.png

If, for example, at this point I pick Scripting Listener..., its dialog box will open on monitor #2, which I like.  However, the text in pulldown menus in Max will now have small and misplaced text such as this result when pick Scripting:

leeminardi_1-1711045341315.png

Menu text size will return to normal if the Scripting Listener dialog box is moved to monitor #1 or if it closed.

Is there a way to keep menu text size consistent regardless of what 3d Max feaure is display on the second monitor, besides of course, getting a second monitor of the same resolution as the primary monitor?

lee.minardi
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Diffus3d
in reply to: leeminardi

I've had issues in the past with dual monitors using spinners and rotating objects, but try as I might I cannot replicate this scenario.  My primary monitor is 2550 and my secondary is standard HD (1920), so my setup is like yours but it's working normally.  I don't doubt that it's happening to you though.  

Here's my current settings, perhaps we can compare in an attempt to narrow down the culprit. 

My settings that may be relevant:  

• Windows 10 22H2
  • My taskbar is on monitor 1.
  • Monitor 1 is my bigger display.
  • My 2ndary display is positioned flush to the bottom of display 1 in the windows display settings
  • Scale and Layout size = 100% for both monitors  (Back in 2017 or so there was a problem with DPI scaling and dual monitors.)
  • Fix Scaling For Apps (in advanced properties in display properties) is On.  
  • No NVIDIA profile overrides for 3dsmax in use.
  • Viewcube is off in 3dsmax.  (Maybe since it controls viewport rotation from a layer above the viewport it's somehow relevant but probably not.)  
  • Tested on 3dsmax 2024

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 4
leeminardi
in reply to: Diffus3d

@Diffus3d   The scale was the issue.  I had my larger, higher resolution display set with a scale of 200% (to make labels larger) and the smaller monitor scale's set at 100%.  Making them both the same fixes the problem.  I would like to use a larger font on the larged display so the long term full solution is to get a new monitor with specs the same as my current larger montor.

Thank you.

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 4
Diffus3d
in reply to: leeminardi

There may be a way to scale things on the app level instead of the monitor level, but I don't know if it would solve the problem without needing new hardware.  At least we (you) made some progress in understanding the issue, thanks for posting your results.

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report