Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max 2018.3 How can I see my model in wireframe (not x ray) with image planes?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
3885 Views, 6 Replies

Max 2018.3 How can I see my model in wireframe (not x ray) with image planes?

Hey Max Community, 

I really need to see my model in wireframe mode (not x ray mode, opacity is not low enough) with my image planes set up in my viewports visible? Similar to how modo, c4d, and maya do it. I need the reference to be seen on these textured image planes, its vital for my modeling process. 

Im modeling a concept object with random photographic reference that has been camera matched and set up properly, so viewport reference is not an option as I need to cycle between like 10 different images.

Is this possible? 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
irishman_team_kilber
in reply to: Anonymous

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: irishman_team_kilber

Im looking for a way to quickly toggle wireframe mode (F3) but still see my background image plane reference, like this in Maya: 

Message 4 of 7
WhitebirchStudios

I don't think you can. I slide the plane, with the blueprint, up and down.

Message 5 of 7
PROH

Hi. In older versions there was a trick to do this, that I think should also work in newer versions (haven't tried it).

1) Put your image plane on a seperate layer, and set the its object properties to "by layer".

2) Open the layer properties and change "Display" (top right) from "viewport" (default) to "shaded".

3) Set the used viewport to "wireframe"

Now this layer and your image plane, should display as shaded while everything else is shown in wireframes.

Hope it helps

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

this worked perfectly, much thanks!

Message 7 of 7
JacksonLamme
in reply to: PROH

how do you set the object properties to 'by layer"?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report