Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material render problem (displacement and grass)

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2714 Views, 2 Replies

Material render problem (displacement and grass)

these are my issues (I miss 2015 version):

the window does not match the render (only happend for displacement map).

grass (hair and fair) does not work. I am currently using substance grass to compensate, but grass used to be a very convenient option in max.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. AFAIK displacement has always only been shown in the viewport, if a "Displacement modifier" was used. Material displacement won't show in the viewport, and never has - no matter what version.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 3
kgokhangurbuz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi;

Displacement Modifier and Displacement Map channels are two different things.

Displacement Modifier Displaces a geometry by using its segments, and you can see it in viewport which makes this a Static Geometry.

Displacement Map channel does pretty much the same, regardless of the segments of your object (it has an effect of course but i wont be going too deep on that), and this geometric deformation is calculated while rendering, which makes it a Dynamic Geometry.

In your example, you are using a Displacement map channel, which is only calculated during rendering, this is why you are not seeing it in viewport, and as the comment above, it has never been able to viewed in viewports.

Best regards;

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report