Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jerky perspective viewport camera.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
562 Views, 5 Replies

Jerky perspective viewport camera.

Hey all, not sure if this is expected behaviour or not but my perspective viewport is very jerky when orbiting objects at anything but slow speeds. It might simply be that I'm moving the camera too fast / expecting too much from max. I'm use to UE4 which has a much more robust real time rendering viewports. TBH it almost looks like it's trying to give a massive number of frames as I whip around and my gpu can't keep up at that fps so it stutters.

My system should be more than adequate for the nigh on empty scene I am testing with. 

https://youtu.be/DH1V23doSUc

i7-7700

RTX 2060

16GB Ram

Windows 10

I've done a fresh install of graphics drivers and tried out a bunch of driver options in preferences with no luck.

Thanks for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Diffus3d
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous ,

It feels like some lag is coming from somewhere else, some process which demands frequent refreshes in the background.  Some browsers and video services can cause stuff like this from what I've experienced.  Netflix on Mozilla for example is not a possibility for me with any 3D software because of the jitters.  (especially bad in Unity.)  Probably a driver/software/whatever issue for me.  I just don't use Mozilla for netflix.  

You can try to close everything else and see if that helps and if so you can narrow down the culprit.  If shutting other stuff down doesn't seem to make a difference, maybe try turning off adaptive degradation.  (Little blue box on the bottom middle-ish area of the UI.)  

From what I see if that video, some system process is updating in the background and it's affecting you.  I could be wrong but that's what it feels like to me.  Screen recorders, video services, A/V, windows update, etc. can cause these sorts of things, and not just in Max.   Heck, even your windows power settings could be a culprit.  Make sure they are set to performance.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Diffus3d

Sadly I gave this a go before posting (and again just now to check) and with as much as I can close closed it's still present. Adaptive degradation seems to have no impact on or off. I'm not seeing any issues in other programs like UE4 or Photoshop or games, performance seems stable across the board, other than 3ds max.

To be honest this isn't a major issue for me. If it was a common issue or a quick fix then great, if not then I can live with it (and be constantly irritated by it but oh well).

Message 4 of 6
Diffus3d

Hello @Anonymous ,

I helped a person in the forums a few years ago that had something similar going on.  For him, it was a motherboard BIOS update that fixed it.  It's not typical or common however, at least in my experience.  It may also be an A/V program that is constantly real-time scanning the max directory.  

Apologies, but those things listed above are my best guesses.  I wonder, if you use a different windows account (temp) does the problem persist?

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Diffus3d

No problem! Worthy things to try.

I updated my BIOS today, no luck. I'll give the A/V and temp account options a try.

Message 6 of 6
hgainer

Old thread, but this is inherent in Max. If you compare, say, a Blender viewport, rotate the scene, then do the same in 3d max... max looks like it is operating at 2fps compared to Blender. Max rotates with less refined degree units. It's been this way forever and when going between programs, feels awful. If there is a fix, it should be the default for years now, so I assume there is none and won't be until the issue is directly addressed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report