Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change default number of segments of extrude modifier?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
alexJ682T
370 Views, 6 Replies

Is it possible to change default number of segments of extrude modifier?

By default, there is 1 segment, but what if I want to all extrude operations by default have 100 segments? Is there a way for changing these default settings?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
leeminardi
in reply to: alexJ682T

Extrude a shape and then set the Segments to 100.  After that new objects will use the 100 for the number of segments by default.

leeminardi_0-1660836685318.png

lee.minardi
Message 3 of 7
alexJ682T
in reply to: leeminardi

That does not works as a global, system wide change. Program does not remembers it for the next launch.

Message 4 of 7
10DSpace

@alexJ682T 

I couldn't find any way to change the default segments of the extrude modifier.   However if your goal is to always have 100 segs when you add an extrude modifier, the attached macroscript,  AddExtrude_100Segs.mcr will add an extrude modifier to the currently selected object(s) with the segments set to 100.  You didn't say anything about the extrude amount value so I presume that you intend to set this manually depending on the model you are working on.  The script sets the extrude amount to be 100 also, but you could modify the script to some other amount value if you want.  So from the user perspective, this adds the modifier with segs set to 100 with a single action and in that sense is equivalent to adding an extrude modifier with a default segments setting of 100.

To install the script, unzip the attached and then drag AddExtrude_100Segs.mcr into a Max viewport.  The macro will then be displayed in the list of actions that can then be hotkeyed or added to a custom toolbar or custom menu via Customize > Hotkey Editor or Customize > Customize User Interface. 

Message 5 of 7
alexJ682T
in reply to: 10DSpace

Thanks a lot!

seems that 3DSMAX is far limited in customization, compared say, to CorelDraw....

Message 6 of 7
10DSpace

@alexJ682T 

Depends on your perspective, I guess.  I view max script as customization on steroids, although admittedly there is a learning curve.  It is particularly powerful when you need to repeat an action or a whole series of actions over hundreds or thousands of scene objects/materials.   

But in terms of changing/customizing default settings in Max there are actually quite a few that you can now set via the DefaultParamInterface exposed in maxscript in Max 2021.1 (but not the Extrude modifier settings).  And there is an easy to use script that makes the process simple.  For example, below is a screenshot of this CustomDefaultParamManager script in which I set the weld threshold to .001 for the Edit Poly modifier.  

10DSpace_0-1660997519633.png

The script is available and explained here:

https://cganimator.com/3dsmax-2021-1-custom-default-parameter-and-the-manager/

So if you think you may want to change other default settings I suggest you download the script as it lets you browse through the supported default settings that can be changed in max.  Hope it helps.

Message 7 of 7
alexJ682T

Well, maybe 🙂 But it is amazing, how these guys can't fix simple errors in last 24 years 😄 (My topic about extrude/lattice/chamfer modifiers).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report