Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instance connections overview?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
437 Views, 4 Replies

Instance connections overview?

Is there some way to overview instance connections in 3ds max?

I'm thinking of something like Slate Material Editor, which could show what are the dependencies of objects, modifiers, etc.

An example for this could be: for example having a ProBoolean, consisting of A,B,C,D,E elemenst, and I'd like to create a copy of it, but have the C,D,E elements as instances with the other ProBoolean's operands, but A and B as copied.

Is this possible, or I have to recreate the new ProBoolean Object from scratch?

Or it would be nice to extract the base of an object which was copied as a Reference.

These are just some examples. I think the dependencies in 3ds Max can be complex, but I can't see any way to organize them properly. I think there are some functions like "Show dependencies", but is that all?

I hope there is some interface for this, maybe I've just overlooked it the whole time.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Swordslayer
in reply to: Anonymous

There's schematic view, if you have baseobject checked selecting the main object will highlight all the other identical baseobjects (for example, here Box012 is a copy unlike the others so its baseobject is not highlighted):

schematicView.png

ProBooleans, partly due to them being 3rd-party solution, don't support much of this, the new Booleans do, though.

As for extracting the baseobject/modified object, you can do that via trackview, check for example this post from the tips&tricks thread.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Swordslayer

Very nice, I didn't know this feature! Thanks, this will come in handy! 🙂

I've started to look into that. By any chance, is it also capable of modify the objects' references, I mean, not just see the wiring between them, but rewire some parameters somehow? 

Or this interface is just for display, and the objects' connections can be modified the traditional way?

Message 4 of 5
Swordslayer
in reply to: Anonymous

It's pretty limited, you can link, wire parameters and stuff like that, but that's about it:

wiring.gif

And there were no changes since max 6, if you feel like it could be useful, give your vote to the Scene Node Editor idea if you haven't done so yet.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Swordslayer

That's nice! Thanks for the intro! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report