Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import RFA in 3dS Max

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
ElenaLongoni
35513 Views, 35 Replies

import RFA in 3dS Max

How can I import Revit.RFA file in 3ds Max ?

Tags (3)
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
rendermaster
in reply to: ElenaLongoni

Insert your RFA file in revit, save it as RVT file and import in 3Ds Max

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 3 of 36
ElenaLongoni
in reply to: rendermaster

Unfortunatelly I've not Revit. Revit.RFA is a file format I've found in most of websites referring to furniture; I need to use their symbols that why I'm asking for.
Elena Longoni

Project Engineering Department

[cid:image002.jpg@01D01A15.85510820]

22060 Novedrate (CO)

Strada Provinciale 32

Tel +39.031.795.779

Fax +39.031.795.600

www.bebitaliacontract.com

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora il presente messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo senza copiarlo e a non inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente comunicazione.
Grazie

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee, and have received this message by mistake, please delete it and immediately notify us. You may not copy or disseminate this message to anyone.
Thank you
[firma mail]
Message 4 of 36
ElenaLongoni

Unfortunatelly I've not Revit. Revit.RFA is a file format I've found in most of websites referring to furniture; I need to use their symbols that why I'm asking for.
Elena Longoni

Project Engineering Department

[cid:image002.jpg@01D01A15.85510820]

22060 Novedrate (CO)

Strada Provinciale 32

Tel +39.031.795.779

Fax +39.031.795.600

www.bebitaliacontract.com

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate ed a uso esclusivo del destinatario. Qualora il presente messaggio Le fosse pervenuto per errore, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo senza copiarlo e a non inoltrarlo a terzi, dandocene gentilmente comunicazione.
Grazie

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee, and have received this message by mistake, please delete it and immediately notify us. You may not copy or disseminate this message to anyone.
Thank you
[firma mail]
Message 5 of 36
rendermaster

done. good luck

Ronel Katigbak Pabico

3D Generalist / Animator / Renderer/ Graphics Designer

Autodesk Student Ambassador Platinum
YouTube Channel l Linked l Facebook l Blogs

Message 6 of 36
ElenaLongoni

Thank you for this sample.

I wish to have a solution to manage on my own, for furter needed.

Is there any possibility in 3dmax import upgrade ? or is there a Revit RFA vs RVT translator available ?

Tags (3)
Message 7 of 36

Hello @ElenaLongoni,

There isn't one that I am aware of.  Does the site allow download in any other formats?  

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 36

Thank you for your support Alfred,

Traduci da: Latino
I realize that there is not solution at present,
I hope that  import  command will be upgrade for RFA in the new versions of 3DStudio...
elena
Message 9 of 36

Hello @ElenaLongoni,

I will add a suggestion improvement to the tracker about this for you, and thank you for the suggestion.  I will specifically link to this thread.  

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

This problem of rfa import is one year ago.

I hope this function will be enabled in 3dsmax.

Best regards.

Message 11 of 36
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

I've added the improvement request but there's no guarantees that it will be acted upon.  I would suggest filing a Feature Request and including the reasoning as well.   Then we have covered both fronts.  

I'm not versed in Revit, but I wonder why these sites post the files as RFA instead of RVT files.   Any ideas why they would do that?  

Best Regards,

Message 12 of 36
Anonymous

RFA is a the format for a single Revit component (family). RVT is the format for the whole building model project file. So RFA is the appropriate format for manufacturers to offer as a component download. I, too, would like to see RFA format support for 3ds Max import.

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous

Hello Autodesk family 🙂

Is this issue done, is it possible to import rfa today in latest 3ds Max release? BIM models are mostly in that format...

This is really wide needed.

Best regards

Message 14 of 36
brentscannell

Hi @Anonymous

Currently that is not supported, but we're interested in hearing how important this might be for you. Please join the discussion and cast your vote over in the ideas section. There is already an idea suggested for this that needs support:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/direct-rfa-import-for-3dsmax/idi-p/8173506

Message 15 of 36
aaronfross
in reply to: brentscannell

Hey, I just got bitten by this... There are tons of assets available from manufacturers, but 3ds Max can't read RFA files? This is a serious oversight that needs to be addressed. I would put this on the top of the list of priorities for any developers working in the realm of interoperability. 3ds Max is supposed to be the application of choice for visualization, and it can't read individual models from its sister application, Revit? That's crazy talk.

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: aaronfross

...exactly so.

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: aaronfross

...and I am more confused about that Autodesk people read this and ask us how important it is???

Message 18 of 36
brentscannell

Nobody is arguing that this isn't an important idea, it's just a question of where does it rank among all other potential new features. With only 25 votes on the idea forum, this isn't even in the top 20. Do you know some members of the community that you might be able to rally together and bump the ranking up?

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: brentscannell

Hello,

I understand argumentation but we members are individuals, mostly
professionals sitting all around the world no time for such things. My
company has at least 20 persons using Autodesk
You att Autodesk should recognize important from not important, not a
voting system, which is misleading here in this case. How many people use
that Revit format, BIM and visualization in Max is relevant.
We are talking about that the most common format from Revit for BIM is not
talking with Max.
Message 20 of 36
twsmith

ooh … ! so close! in desperation I renamed a *.rfa file *.rvt and 3ds Max 2019 popped up a message along the lines "this file was saved with an older version of Revit, please be patient while the conversion takes place"

… wait in hope ...

then "an exception occurred", the import failed

so I finally threw in the towel and started the multi gigabyte download / hour long Revit installation process, because 3ds STILL (4 years after the OP) cannot import the file format the rest of the world is using for library files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report