Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change a color of a texture?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
14712 Views, 3 Replies

How to change a color of a texture?

Hello,

I've been struggling to find a way to change a color of a texture easily in the material editor.  As an example I want to change the color of a metal roof from a grey to a red color.  This is probably a stupid question but the material editor is frustrating to use in my option compared to how SketchUp materials are set up.  I'm using using the slate material editor. Also I'm fairly new to the program.

Thank you for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

When you double-click the bitmap, at the bottom of the inspector panel on the right of the screen you should see 'Output' listed at the bottom. Expand that section, enable color map checkbox, then in the graph below change from mono to RGB. Now you can turn off the G and B buttons and drag the Red curve up by dragging its node on the graph.

This can sometimes lead to strange results because you are making the bitmap give out a color value that is above absolute 'real world' diffuse emission values.

You can also strap a color-correction map between the bitmap and the main material body:
http://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2016/ENU//?guid=__files_GUID_E59B1CE8_B7E5_48D1_AB24_ED8C4AA7C9...

A better way to do it would be if you have a program like Photoshop installed. Then you can simply right-click the bitmap tile and select 'Edit...' If set up correctly the bitmap will open in Photoshop and you can edit and resave the file there. If you save over the original bitmap it will get automatically updated in the material editor.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

Thank you, that seem to have worked for me.

Message 4 of 4
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

Glad to be of help 🙂

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report