Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giving new life to an older 3D model.

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
lllyons138A79
522 Views, 8 Replies

Giving new life to an older 3D model.

Hi,

I started 3D Modeling around 2008 and just found a final project for the course that was teaching me to model, checking the file metadata it says its from that year, so of course when attempted to open it with the 2024 version it gives me an error. "File Open Fail". Does anyone know if its possible to get a 2008 or close year version that might be able to open that file with that model?

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Diffus3d
in reply to: lllyons138A79

It should be possible to open the file, unless maybe it had reactor in use which was removed from 3dsmax around that time I believe.  I've got files from school in the early 2000's that still open.  

Maybe the media it's on has become corrupted?  Is there a backup somewhere you can try?  What happens if you File->Import->Merge?  Still no dice?  

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread
Message 3 of 9
lllyons138A79
in reply to: Diffus3d

Hi @Diffus3d ,

Thank you for your quick reply. I just tried the import merge option, but it gives me a, now yellow exclamation, version of the "File Open Fail". Im really not sure if it had reactor or not, and this was the backup file, as far as i know it might be the only file related to that project. Is there a way to tell for sure if the media is corrupted? or actually getting a version of Max that may be able to open it?

Message 4 of 9
Diffus3d

You can post it here and see if someone else can open it, but chances are the file itself has been corrupted.  If you rename it to .zip and unpack it, you should see some folders and things in there.  If you don't, the file is corrupted.  

As far as old versions... probably not.  If you can find an old magazine they used to ship demo copies of software on them sometimes, might be your only hope.  

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 9
lllyons138A79

Again thanks a lot for the recommendations, I actually found an unregistered, demo trial version of 3D's Max 8 but got the same errors when opening and import merging the file, and sadly also tried the .zip method after checking other trobleshootings, altough I'm not sure if did it correctly, no other files inside in the zip sotware. I'm going to attach it, if some one can check it would be awesome, I would really appreciate it. I'm thinking of making a new version of it from scratch in its honour, just though it would be awsome to be able to actually open the original. 

Edit: Now I get this from this page: 

Correct the highlighted errors and try again.

The attachment's proyecto naska.max content type (application/octet-stream) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

😞

Message 6 of 9
Diffus3d

Well darn, it looks like maybe the file is corrupted.   I've been there, it's never fun.  You might be able to post a support ticket and there's maybe a 5% chance that something could happen.  It's your only shot, but chance are the file is kaput.  

Best regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
lllyons138A79

Again thanks a lot, I'll definetely try the ticket and I'll reply again if it works.

Message 8 of 9

Update, there's no support for the education license, so I guess I'll try again later when i make the upgrade 😞

Message 9 of 9
Diffus3d

It's happened to me too before @lllyons138A79 , and it's always a bummer.  Your attitude is great though.  Best of luck in your travels.

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report