Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enormous size of some objects in scene - export/import drastically reduces the object size

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ixikEEA68
629 Views, 3 Replies

Enormous size of some objects in scene - export/import drastically reduces the object size

I have some, for example, pillows in my library - single pillow file is about 50MB (since it is a fabric model, they are quite complex with lots of polys) BUT still, the size seemed to be quite a lot - so I experimented with pro-optimizer, conversion to different types of poly etc., cleared animation, dependencies, materials... nothing seemed to change the size dramatically - only when I exported file into 3Ds or other formats and import it back to scene, the exact same geometry is about 1/10 size and even less. It is not the problem of some bloated scene (nodetracks, animlayers, complex materials etc.)

How come the same geometry can in *.max file have such a different size, is it possible to minimize it as export/import does without actual export/import? (It would be soo painful to do that with many of my models)

Thx a lot

Win10 + 3Ds max 2016 + Vray next 3

Labels (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

before you import your model make sure you check your units, and make sure them are the same in 3ds max custom units setup you will need to change the display units and the system units that should fit the problem. if you want more infomation check the link below

Units Setup Dialog 

Message 3 of 4
BenBisares
in reply to: ixikEEA68

My guess is that there is some kind of file bloat (orphaned data, unrelated track files, etc.) that is taking up most of the space in the scene.

I would try using the "SceneCleaner_Startup.ms" script found in the following article.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/3ds-Ma...

Ben Bisares
Message 4 of 4
ixikEEA68
in reply to: ixikEEA68

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, units in the scene are not the case, nor the problem.

I know about scene cleaner script - that is not the case either.

I have noticed, that the scene with the single editable-POLY object is about twice the size as the exact same scene with the exact same object as editable-MESH - taken into consideration those are objects with a lot of geometry and some cleanup was done... that might be the case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report