Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2018 freezing viewport bug (same as 2017)

61 REPLIES 61
Message 1 of 62
dimarakov
13459 Views, 61 Replies

3ds max 2018 freezing viewport bug (same as 2017)

One year later and same bug as in 2017 max. the programmers of 3ds max what they are doing? drinking vodka all year with 3ds max testers? or they not got paid for their work.

how pathetic is that.

from year to year the 3ds max getting worse and worse. what happned with your autodesk?

61 REPLIES 61
Message 2 of 62
spacefrog_
in reply to: dimarakov

What NVIDIA driver version do you use ?

ahh - got it from the youtube comment (381.65)

Would you like to do a small test ( registry tweak ) and see if it changes your experience with the viewport freeze ?

If yes, could you import the attached  GPU_TDRLevel_Disable.reg registry file (as administrator) , REBOOT and test for the freeze to appear again ? Please report if you still see the viewport freeze

After the test, simply import GPU_TDRLevel_Reset.reg the same way as the first, reboot, and everything would be back to normal

Note: this is just an experiment from my side, so there is no guarantee that it has any effect. If it has a positive effect we could go on further with a little different reg tweak...

In case you are curious, the first reg file should deactivate the in W10 somewhat hypersensitive GPU watchdog ( Timeout Detection and Recovery ). See more here

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/display/tdr-registry-keys

EDIT: i packed the regfiles into zips, as otherwise the board does'nt accept the upload

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 3 of 62
IgorKlints
in reply to: spacefrog_

Unfortunately it does not give any result.

Message 4 of 62
spacefrog_
in reply to: IgorKlints

@IgorKlints wrote:

Unfortunately it does not give any result.

So to conclude:

you got the same viewport freezes etc.. in Max 2017 as shown in the video  and are maybe even on Windows 10 .

you applied the registry teak and nothing changed ?

What nvida driver version you got installed ?

Thanks for testing, maybe a few more people could try. Sad that it does'nt fix the issues

Just be sure to apply the reverse tweak too, so that the GPU watchdog is enabled again ...

Josef Wienerroither
Message 5 of 62
Isaac_Zuniga

That's interesting, because  my video card (while it's not terrible, it is not a "good" card by any means for what I need from it) has no problems with the viewport.

do have some performance issues, but it's not 3ds Max, rather it's my video card that's being maxed out with basic functions.

Have you tried checking if your card is certified by 3ds Max? (If it's a gaming card, GTX-XXXX, then it's already bound to have problems.)

Need help? Need to contact Autodesk? Click on the link below!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support/technical-support
Message 6 of 62
spacefrog_
in reply to: Isaac_Zuniga

IsaacNorman wrote:

Have you tried checking if your card is certified by 3ds Max? (If it's a gaming card, GTX-XXXX, then it's already bound to have problems.)

That's simply not true. Gaming cards work perfectly fine. You might want to have some Quadros if you rely on 24h GPU rendering a day but otherwise they are total overkill for 3ds Max ( pricewise mostly, as performance wise the gaming cards work better)

Regarding the viewport stability with Max 2017: i really would want to have a take on each and every machine that shows this problem and analyze it from a software/hardware aspect. I still have my doubts that it is something that cannot be fixed by means outside of 3ds Max ...

For me Max 2017 is perfectly fine viewport wise. There are crashes with edit poly snapping, the broken "select UV overlaps" in the UV editor plus some UI glitches though

Josef Wienerroither
Message 7 of 62
Isaac_Zuniga

Let's agree to disagree with the gaming cards and the viewport performance.

I tried a GTX 980 TI AMP Extreme from Zotac in 2015, and when I was working on a model (approaching around 1.5 million polygons), it started having some issues. The card had the latest drivers and updates too, but the viewport started suffering. On the same machine, I switched it out for the Quadro card, the same one I have right now, and while it is much, much weaker than the Gtx 980 TI AMP Extreme, it handled the 1.5 million polygons with no problems whatsoever. That card, that one had the latest drivers, updates, and everything as well.

As for the thread's purpose, 3ds Max 2018's viewport having issues, I really don't know what to say. I'm having no problems whatsoever with it. (Other than my card not being fast enough to handle what I do anymore...)

Need help? Need to contact Autodesk? Click on the link below!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support/technical-support
Message 8 of 62
IgorKlints

Yes I have a similar situation with versions 17 and 18.

My GTX at 1080. i7-6700k and 64Gb of RAM. ver.driver 381.65

I have tried all the tricks that you wrote. I have no performance problems, there is a problem freezing viewport

Version 3ds max 2016 is working fine

Message 9 of 62
Anonymous

I've got the same issue. There is a delay upon holding ALT and it registering that you're pressing the button. That applies to changing to wireframe mode and turning line edges on/off. And it's random. Not constant.

Message 10 of 62
lightcube
in reply to: Isaac_Zuniga

@Anonymous wrote:

do have some performance issues, but it's not 3ds Max, rather it's my video card that's being maxed out with basic functions.

How can you know that? I think that making such statements need to be taken with a grain of salt. Maybe you are right. But also, maybe wrong.

@Anonymous wrote:

Gaming cards have been fine for Max for years. GTX has served me well for a long time. It's only with 2017 that issues started, and apparently only on WIndows 10 (based on what I've seen people saying). It has not been my experience until 2017 on Windows 10 that I saw any issues. So I wouldn't expect this to be a "gaming" card problem.

That being said, it does make you wonder if there is any correlation between this problem and the apparent divorce between AD and Nvidia. There is absolutely no evidence that there is any kind of connection. But a natural question is whether there is an actual correlation. It could be as simple as Nvidia decided that it wasn't worth time testing new driver updates in software no longer in a partnership. Or it has nothing to do with NVidia. Could be Windows. Could be Max.

In any event, I don't think any of us in the wild knows what is going on. But I know many of us want a resolution. I consider this an extremely urgent issue, as does anyone experiencing it.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 11 of 62
spacefrog_
in reply to: lightcube

If anyone is willing to donate me a 1080GTX i would certainly drag it through a serious testbed scenario on W10 and Max 2017/Max 2018 and if possible come up with a fix Smiley Very Happy. It's really hard for me reading all that Max 2017 issues people have, while i'm a total fanboy of it and have no real showstopper issues with it

Josef Wienerroither
Message 12 of 62
Anonymous

Are you using a wacom by chance? I used to have this kind of freezing when i use my wacom, turning off a whole bunch of windows tablet related features got rid of it.

Message 13 of 62
lightcube

@Anonymous wrote:

If anyone is willing to donate me a 1080GTX i would certainly drag it through a serious testbed scenario on W10 and Max 2017/Max 2018 and if possible come up with a fix Smiley Very Happy. It's really hard for me reading all that Max 2017 issues people have, while i'm a total fanboy of it and have no real showstopper issues with it

Wish I could, but I just don't have the extra resources. And for me, this is happening with a 980. So it's not just the latest class.

As for Wacom question above.... no Wacom here. Just a Logitech G500s mouse.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 14 of 62
Anonymous

@lightcube wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As for Wacom question above.... no Wacom here. Just a Logitech G500s mouse.

I had an issue with a G500 mouse recently. Left-clicking wasn`t working reliable anymore, constantly generating double-clicks or no clicks at all. I was literally pulling my hair out until i realized it was the mouse, not the application. Seems to be a common problem with it`s micro switches. Exchanged it with a Razor and now everything is working fine again.

Message 15 of 62
lightcube
in reply to: Anonymous

Just tested removing G500s and replaced with generic mouse. Same issue.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 16 of 62
lightcube

As brought up by Vu on page 3 of this thread, you should try uninstalling the Geforce Experience if installed. I uninstalled today and since doing that, the viewport freezing has not occurred in either 2017/2018. Not necessarily proof, but I'm interested in seeing others try this as well. I am hopeful that is the actual problem here.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 17 of 62
IgorKlints

I checked it, it remove geforce experience has not solved my problem

Message 18 of 62
spacefrog_

@IgorKlints wrote:

Okay - next test:

could you open a dos command prompt as administrator and run the following command to disable the tablet related services ( restarts after reboot )

net stop TabletInputService

After this, could you test for the freezes in Max 2017 again ?

Don't reboot until you tested, as it would restart the services

I hope that the service does'nt autostart again during the windows 10 session

Josef Wienerroither
Message 19 of 62
IgorKlints

Do you laugh or do you seriously think that this will solve the problem? I have a better idea, to remove 3ds max from the system. 

I don't understand how can a tablet or a mouse to cause lockups 3ds max. What other stupid ideas do you have?

Message 20 of 62
lightcube

@IgorKlints wrote:

That's a bad sign. Well, I will share more news as I test this week. Maybe the freeze will come back for me too. I'll share my findings.

In terms of the advice about mice/tablets. You might not be so harsh about that input/suggestion. In the past, I do recall some specific mouse drivers causing crashes in Max.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm

Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report