Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty scene using large amounts of RAM in 3dsMax2021

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
CoreyMurray
1352 Views, 15 Replies

Empty scene using large amounts of RAM in 3dsMax2021

Hi 

I have a reoccurring issue in 3dsMax2021 where the program uses large amounts of RAM (sometimes up to 10Gb) with blank scenes sitting idle. I start MAX and use default install path for project (user/documents/3dsmax2021) and reasonably quickly MAX starts to consume RAM. CPU sits at about 30% which is also weird, for an empty scene.

ANY ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Corey

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
RobH2
in reply to: CoreyMurray

Maybe your 'maxstart.max' file has some problems. Go find it and delete it. Then 'Reset' Max and see what happens. This is just an initial thing to try. If it solves it good. If not, then further investigation will be needed. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 16
CoreyMurray
in reply to: RobH2

Thanks, but doesn't seem to make a difference
Message 4 of 16
BenBisares

If you save that empty scene, how big is the file size? Should be under 1MB.

Ben Bisares
Message 5 of 16
CoreyMurray

yep - its tiny 6ooKb. At the time of saving it was using ~10Gb RAM and 30% CPU

Message 6 of 16
BenBisares

Hmmm..that's strange. I was thinking you had some kind of file bloat going on. Just in case can you attach that file?

At the moment I would try what @RobH2 mentioned. Do you have any 3rd party scripts installed?

Ben Bisares
Message 7 of 16
CoreyMurray

I have another install (same version) on another pc which idles  at >1% CPU and around 900Mb of RAM - all as expected.

File attached, any help would be awesome ☺

Message 8 of 16
RobH2

It looks to me like the file is OK. I opened your file and it used a little over 2MB RAM and 2% CPU. I added a cube to it and not much change. I then added 100 cubes and little change as well, a bit more RAM. Lastly, I saved your original file to see if anything changed and it did not in the copy. 

Sounds like a memory leak. I don't know much about what causes them or how to mitigate them but I've had a few over the years, not on Win 10 though. 

I'm guessing it's an OS VS Max Installation issue. I'd completely uninstall Max and then make sure your OS is healthy. use DISM or something to verify the OS. Then, reinstall Max and see if the problem abates. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 9 of 16
CoreyMurray

Thanks all for the comments and observations, I'll start with a re-install and take it up with ADSK if it doesn't resolve itself.

Message 10 of 16
CoreyMurray

I updated VRay to vray_adv_51003_max2021_x64 and this issue went away. Sounded similar to this issue on Chaos forums. Thanks Ben!

Message 11 of 16
BenBisares

FYI for those following this thread, we did a remote session with Corey and through the process of elimination found out that when 3rd party plug-ins were disabled the issue went away. As you can see above Corey was them then able to narrow it down to the V-Ray plug-in.

Ben Bisares
Message 12 of 16
RobH2

That's what it sounded like to me, a memory leak and those are frequently from 3rd party programs that aren't tested as rigorously. I'm sure most of your 3rd party plugins are fine. It's probably just one of them that's the culprit. Enable them one at a time and work for a bit. As soon as the problem returns, look at what you installed last. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
CoreyMurray

no it doesn't say anything about a memory leak. I'm sure VRay is tested 'rigorously' - I just needed to install the latest version in which issue had been fixed.
Message 14 of 16
RobH2

That's what a memory leak is, when a program consumes a crazy amount of RAM. That's what the plugins were doing, one of them at least as it bumped into VRay. Disabling them stopped the leak. VRay is tested like crazy but some other plugin interacting with it caused the leak. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 15 of 16
alikasb

I have problem then 3dsmax 2023 and 3dsmax 2024 using about 10 precent of CPU with new start and empty scene. Both have arnold. And 2024 have tyflow plugin instaled, 2023 not have tyflow instaled.
My CPU is ryzen 5900x.

And I not have VRay...

Message 16 of 16
Diffus3d

Hello @alikasb ,

You should start a new thread, your issue is unrelated to the issue in this thread.  You might check this thread for some links about similar issues in the meanwhile. 

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report