Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displace map not working

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
RadioRahim
231 Views, 2 Replies

Displace map not working

As seen in this simple video, I am trying to make a mountain out of a plane, but if you look at my video below in which I reproduce the steps perfectly, there is no visual result which leaves me wondering what I can do to make this work. Here is me trying and not succeeding:

In desperation for a solution, googled this issue and came across MY OWN POST, from years ago, but whatever made it work was not clearly established in that post (I originally thought it was from using Editable Mesh, but the user who was helping me said that should not have made any difference). 

So here I am years later, same issue. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
10DSpace
in reply to: RadioRahim

@RadioRahim 

The size of your plane is around 44,000 X 45,000 scene units and the displacement texture map you are using looks to be very small/low resolution with file size of only 6K.  So use a much higher resolution displacement map or decrease the size of the plane.   If you intentionally chose that size for your plane, then you will need a much higher resolution bitmap as a displacement texture. 

The number of length and width segments of the plane also affects the quality of the displacement (increase number of segments to get better resolution for the displacement), but your main problem seems to be a big mismatch between the size of the plane you are using  and the very low resolution bitmap for displacement. 

Message 3 of 3
BenBisares
in reply to: RadioRahim

From the units used in the video I believe the reason it seems like nothing changes is because the strength is too low to see much. You have a plane that's roughly 40000 x 70000 but only "displaced" it by 599. I tried the same and it was very hard to see the effect. I had to enable edged faces to see some change. What happens if you change the displacement strength to over 9000?

over9000.png

Ben Bisares

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report