Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different ways to zoom in/out

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
3244 Views, 3 Replies

Different ways to zoom in/out

Hello all:

My apologies in advance for asking such newb questions.

The only way I know to zoom in/out in the 3-4 quadrants is through the mouse wheel. That covers 99% of my needs, but as you may suspect, this post has been motivated by the 1%.

I need finer granularity. Sometime the mouse wheel forward gets me too close and the rear motion, too far. A keystroke would be perfect (in Adobe: Ctrl-Plus, Ctrl-Minus).

TIA,

-Ramon
JFK Numbers

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Couple of tips for you:

1. Alt + Mouse wheel scroll yields smaller movements than without alt

2. Ctrl + Mouse wheel scroll yields Larger movements than without Ctrl

3. Ctrl + Alt + Middle Mouse Down lets you pan in and out based on your movement

4. If you want to zoom in on a  selected object just hit  "Z" .  This works with several objects selected also. 

Message 3 of 4
10DSpace
in reply to: 10DSpace

@Anonymous 

The other thing that happens sometimes is when zooming in extremely close to a mesh the part closest to you can disappear because it is being clipped by the viewport camera.  To be able to zoom in even closer activate Viewport Clipping (Right click on the viewport label where it says "perspective" or "top", etc) and then click on "Viewport Clipping".  This will give you a yellow line with 2 little carats on the right side of the viewport (it may be hard to see depending on the colors in your scene).  Just pull the lower carat all the way to the bottom and it will extend your ability to zoom in without the mesh being clipped.  I use this often enough that I hot key it.  You can toggle viewport clipping off by selecting it again.   

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: 10DSpace

@10DSpace wrote:

Hi @Anonymous 

Couple of tips for you:

4. If you want to zoom in on a  selected object just hit  "Z" .  This works with several objects selected also. 

That technique is so useful that I have been collecting ways to do it in my applications:

- 3ds Max: Z
 - Maya, SolidWorks: F

- Revit: Right-Click | Zoom to Fit

- SketchUp: (Menu bar icon) Zoom Extents

- Cinema 4D: O

- Adobe apps, web browsers: Ctrl-0

Thanks!

-Ramon
JFK Numbers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report