Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Pflow shape instance to individual instance geometry.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
493 Views, 3 Replies

Convert Pflow shape instance to individual instance geometry.

Hi everyone,

I just created a forest scene using pflow to scatter my 7 trees onto an uneven terrain.   However, I have a client that wants to move 1 or 2 trees around.  Is there a way to convert my pflow shape instance trees into individual instance geometry for control and manipulation? 

On another note, is there also a way to do this using the Scatter Compound Object. Thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
PropChad
in reply to: Anonymous

It might be easier to just select those particles using a Group Selection node. I make geometry that's not renderable for the volume so it can be an odd shape, set that to the Inside Object parameter. You can then send those off to a different event using Split Group. Then use the Mesher Compound object to grab that event (not "Use All PFlow Events"), and then converting that mesher to an Edit Poly and move around the sub objects. Or send them to an event that deletes them, and manually place those trees. Either way works and should keep the other trees in their place.

I'm sure someone out there could script a way to copy the location, scale, and rotation of the particles and create instances of them. But this is how I'd do it to get it over quick if it is not too many trees.

Message 3 of 4
hagen.deloss
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks for bringing your question to the forums!

You may be able to use a Mesher compound object, but that would duplicate all of the trees...you may be able to delete or hide the others though? Not sure, it would take some adjusting in your scene most likely. 

Lemme know if that works out! If you want more help, I would happily take a look at your scene 😄

Hagen Deloss
Community Manager | Media & Entertainment
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: PropChad

Thanks for the reply.  The main thing was to find a way to convert pflow shape instance to instance geometry, but it looks like there isn't a solution for this.   Since that is the case, I will just rebuild the section that needs adjustment and leave the outter sections as pflow.  Thanks everyone. 

Maybe this can be feature request.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report