Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant random crashes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
coilbookmedia
826 Views, 10 Replies

Constant random crashes

Seems like 2018 version is less stable than 2014.  Going to subobject of edit poly or spline  crash, trying to edit points of NURBs crash.  Not sure why and how to reproduce them.  just random.  2014 never had these bugs 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hello @coilbookmedia,

When you get a crash, please submit your CER with your email address in the email line.  If you do this, an Autodesk support person can look up the source of the crash and in many cases help to resolve the issue.  I've searched and I see none from your forum email address so it's difficult to guess what is happening there.  The next time it crashes please put your email in the CER and that would help a lot.  Thanks!

Best Regards,  

Message 3 of 11

Hi we did send crash reports but never added email  Next time we will add it 

Message 4 of 11

Thank you for doing that.  The CER reports are anonymous so without that extra detail I can't tell one from another.  

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 11

we have sent like 3-4 report.  hopefully it will help.  crashes all the time just by selecting multiple objects, going to sub object level, etc  especially if you don't use max 30 min or so and go back to it then it will crash within 5 minutes 

Message 6 of 11

Hello @coilbookmedia,

Thanks for submitting those.  I see three of them here.  The one about attaching a spline to an Edit Poly seems to have QT (interface of Max) as the source of the problem.  I can see that this has been logged and is being investigated.  QT is made by a 3rd party and integrated into Max, so these crash reports help to communicate the issue.  Thanks for submitting them.  

The 2nd issue shows 'msctf' and vcruntime140.  I searched the knowledge base and I see and internal only article which mentions that the Creator's update can occasionally corrupt the Max installation and the recommended course of action was to perform a clean reinstall of 3ds Max.  Since the crash that you submitted has only 5 other instances ever submitted, I have a good feeling about this one.  Please try that for me and thank you.  

The last one seems to have to do with the undo stack and Forest Pack. I cannot really tell from this report if it's a Max problem or a Forest Pack problem.  Have you tried updating Forest Pack recently?  If not, you may consider trying that.  I also see Octane in here.  Is it possible there is a problem with these two plugins together?  As a test can you try to uninstall one of them to see if stability improves?  (I realize you need them both,  I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit.)  I wouldn't do any work here until you've tried the clean reinstall.  Thank you.  

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 11

just went to create a line and it crashed with USER where all splines are 

Message 8 of 11

hi @coilbookmedia

Would you mind sending me your email address via private message? I'll see if we can see the crash log for that crash, its a new one for me!

Alfred had previously recommended a clean reinstall of Max to resolve some prior issues - have you noticed any improvement since?

Message 9 of 11

hi it is a brand new pc with SSD  drive 10 core 7900 and brand new 3ds max 2018.3 max jsut installed 2 weeks ago  Thank you 

Message 10 of 11

Thanks, I see one from today but its the same kind of error that Alfred had already diagnosed as being potentially related Windows Creator's Update. I understand that you just installed Max 2018 recently but I believe there's a chance it may be corrupted, and would need to be re-installed. I really do wish there was some easier way and I apologize for the experience you'd had so far. I hope we can figure this out, together 🙂

Message 11 of 11

Thank you we will.  The program is great. I think also plugins we have contribute to little bugs and crashes.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report