Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant error and crashhing during render on Arnold

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
franek_statucki
607 Views, 13 Replies

Constant error and crashhing during render on Arnold

Hi i am working on a small project for my studies and i have found myself with a problem regarding rendering on Arnold. I don't really know the reason why, only warning i got before was about small padding but i solved it by delating height map. I have the raport but i cant find the cause in it. Can anyone tell my what should i look for?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Diffus3d
in reply to: franek_statucki

The error seems to be:

<upi_error>Error accessing UPI repository in the 64-bits registry</upi_error>

However it's not super clear what that means.  What are your system specs?  (Windows versions, Ram, GPU, CPU).  It might be a warning that it's running out of resources or something.  If it only happens when rendering, you might have more luck posting in the Arnold forums.  

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 14
franek_statucki
in reply to: Diffus3d

I somewhat menaged to render it on debug, losing sound during process. I delated bump map of one object and that seamed to case the problem.
My specs are:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900KF 3.20 GHz 
64GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 4080
And i don't think that level of animation should use up its resources

Message 4 of 14
Diffus3d

Interesting.  Perhaps something was up with the map node?  Some tweak that caused problems?  Hard to say.  What map node type was it?

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 14
franek_statucki
in reply to: Diffus3d

It was normal map causing the problem i think, warning was about a padding but i couldn't find anything where i can set padding on the internet so i just tosed it away. Here is a full texture 

Message 6 of 14
Diffus3d

Nothing seems off about the map, must have been some kind of setting in the bitmap node itself within 3dsmax.  Weird one.

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 14

For the padding warning, you don't need to remove the height map. Arnold is just giving you a suggestion for you to have a better result while using displacement. You need to pick up the value Arnold gives you and change it here

CiroCardoso3v_0-1707720304773.png

Regarding the crash, something that will help us understand what is happening is a render log.

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-get-an-Arno...

Get the log and post it here.

Lead Enviroment Artist @Axis Studios

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 8 of 14

Sure, here goes the log. It render there was ok but sound was out of the windu ;D

Message 9 of 14

Well i am quite new in 3Ds and i didn't know where i can find padding. Searching net didn't help with that for sure.
Anyway thanks for your ss i menaged to find where it is now so TY.

Message 10 of 14

How are you setting up the material for the displacement map? The padding option is on the Arnold modifier that you add to the geometry you are applying the displacement to

CiroCardoso3v_0-1707807745005.png

Thanks for the log. I can see that you are using GPU and that the render finishes fine. Are the drivers for the GPU card updated? If your scene isn't too big, can you Archive it and post it here so I can test it on my side?

CiroCardoso3v_1-1707807913291.png

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 11 of 14

Sure thing, i am happy to learn what and how. for texture i use uv map usually .

Message 12 of 14

Thanks for the scene. I was able to see what was causing the issue, and I believe this is a bug. I already reported to Devs. But for now while in GPU, don't use Light Sampling

CiroCardoso3v_0-1707980275438.png

This is just a temp fix until the Devs fix this issue.

Now, I had a look at your scene and I have a couple of suggestions.

First, isn't reliable and safe to render video files

CiroCardoso3v_1-1707980389907.png

For several reasons, but mostly because you lose the opportunity to make further adjustments to the output and also because if the render crashes on the last frame, you lose the entire video file. The best option is to render EXR files or TIFF. You can always use free software like DaVinci to comp everything together.

Second in how you build the materials here is a quick recap:

All of these maps - for roughness, metalness, normal, bump and displacement

CiroCardoso3v_2-1707980654563.png

Need to be loaded with the gamma 1.0

CiroCardoso3v_3-1707980687830.png

And you can see the difference here compared to the previous image

CiroCardoso3v_4-1707980728298.png

This is going to avoid render artifacts and other issues.

Then to use normal maps you need to use the normal map node instead of the bump3d

CiroCardoso3v_5-1707980819333.png

If you need to combine a bump and a normal map

CiroCardoso3v_6-1707980865400.png

If you want to have more control over the displacement and avoid having those padding warnings, you need to use an Arnold Properties modifier and apply the displacement that way.

CiroCardoso3v_7-1707981032087.png

Hope you find this useful

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Message 13 of 14

Thank you very much, it will help for sure doing stuff in the future.

Message 14 of 14

You are welcome. Which Nvidia driver are you using? Can you try to go back to something like 546 and do another test? I am going to do the same on my side, but it seems it could be a bug introduced in one of the recent Nvidia driver updates.

Arnold Discord Server

Ciro Cardoso

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report