Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Customization

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
dongray
435 Views, 22 Replies

Color Customization

What is the name of this text (in the selection floater),
I'd like to lighten it so it's readable against the dark background?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Steve_Curley
in reply to: dongray

I've looked for that, but have been unable to find it. The contents of the "treeview" don't seem to respect any of the settable colours - don't know why. I suspect it's changeable, but you'd need to know which colour index it is (in the .clr file). (looked in max2008 ofc, not 2009 as yet).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

I too looked for it in Max9, and 2008 I believe, and didn't find it either. Very annoying if it's hardcoded since it defeats the Dark Scheme which is all I use. I won't be installing the demo, but once my package arrives, I'll poke around a bit. I hope I have time. 😕
Message 4 of 23
dongray

Sooner or later you'll have the time.
Message 5 of 23
Steve_Curley

It's in the theme somewhere. In your attached image the highlighted text (Box) is Cyan (pale blue - 133,255,229). I just checked mine which is the default out-of-the-box theme and the highlighted text is white (255,255,255). The .clr file contains a LONG list of colours, but nothing to relate them to the on-screen controls which use them. The only way I can see to find this is to alter every colour in the list one by one checking each time if you've found it.. This could be a long job...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 6 of 23
dongray

IF this were the correct setting text, how would I know what this color information is?

Name_91="Selection"
Category_91="Geometry"
ID_92=17321
Color_92=208

AND, would I have to close Max every time I made an edit in order for it to update the edit in Max?
Just saving the file wouldn't be enough, would it?
Message 7 of 23
Steve_Curley

I think you would either have to close/open Max or at the very least reload the file. Busy day today, so I may not have chance to look at this until tomorrow.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 23
dongray

Yeah, it's back to work for me too, my "weekend" is almost over.
Message 9 of 23
spacefrog_

you could try to lighten the window background a bit - this is the same color which gets used in the textfields background etc...
look in the attached pic to see what i'm talking about....

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 10 of 23
dongray

Ok, thanks, that is an option.
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

...since it defeats the Dark Scheme which is all I use.

How do you use/set the Dark Scheme?? Sorry for being so ignorant!
Message 12 of 23
Steve_Curley

Customise > Load Custom UI Scheme

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 13 of 23
dongray

Under Customize/Load Custon UI, then navigate to your UI folder in the Max root folder and load the Discreet Dark UI, Or whtever the exact name is. Or, go to Customize/Customize User Interface/Color Tab and set your colors however you like.
Whoops, sorry Steve, just woke up and didn't see there was a second page here.

Don
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

I keep having to set the grid intensity over and over again. It doesn't save the change. Anybody know if it's just me or the new max?
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Once you set it, you need to save the color scheme at least, or save the whole UI scheme as something personalized... another name... so that it can be loaded the next time. Otherwise, I believe the Apply Colors is just for that session.
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

That's the trouble. I have saved it. All the other color changes I made saved and re loaded just fine. The grid intensity is the only one that doesn't save with max 2009 and I have to re do each time.

If someone else has max 2009, perhaps you could try changing the grid intensity and saving it. My hope is that there is just some other setting somwhere that I'm missing.
Message 17 of 23
spacefrog_

do you have "Set by intensity" activated in the list on the left prior setting the intensity value and saving the colors ?

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous

Damn, I was hoping that was it. I tried it and it still doesn't save it.

Actually, I take that back. I don't know why I didn't post this part before. The grid intensity number gets saved. But it doesn't actually set the grid intensity to that value until I go into the menu and change the value to 1 higher ( or lower ), then back down to what I want it to be.

Then I exit the menu and have to click in the windows and then the intensity value changes. The clicking in the windows I'm sure is just an update active window thing. Oh and before you ask, I have tried clicking in the windows right after startup, but the intensity doesn't change until I go into the menu and change a setting.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

You're opening your Maxstart.max file just in case a part of the parameter is saved in the file? Maxstart.max is the template file for Max. It's in the Scenes directory by default.

Make sure you don't have a template UI scheme loading like from the Defaults / MR / whatever folder... make sure you're using a custom UI scheme to make sure it's not write protected in some vague way. And, you are doing this as an Admin or authorized user where everything else in Max works?
Message 20 of 23
Anonymous

Hmm, can't find Maxstart.max.

I've been saving my custom ui over Maxstart.ui and just today saved a new file called BDark.ui . When max loads, everything is as I set it except for the grid. If I load a custom ui scheme, and load BDark, then the grid color changes to what I want. If I load the Maxstart, which at this point should be the same as BDark, the grid color is wrong.

Hmm, Okay I solved my problem. I deleted MaxStart.ui, copied BDark.ui, and renamed it MaxStart.ui

MaxStart must have been write protected from being on the install dvd.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report