Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Book recommendation for modeling + shall i sign up for a class ?

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
299 Views, 1 Reply

Book recommendation for modeling + shall i sign up for a class ?

I want to buy not expensive books for learning modeling. I m looking for something not very complicated (english is not my native language),  which maybe can cover other subjects like materials, textures and combinations with other software. Currently I want to focus on modeling in 3ds max and I have no interest on animation. Of course I will also do my research but your opinion on this matter is important.  

Another questions:

• Is the date of the book written/published an important factor in choosing the book? I don't want to end up studying an outdated software and get disappointed. However I m not very sure if can find new books in a good price, maybe i will have to settle with used books.. Is it worth investing to buy new books?
  • Shall I sign up for a class? Someone said that it speeds much the learning process. But I don't see a reason to spend money in lessons if they teach you things that you can also find and learn on the internet. I don't know. What's your opinion on this? Can someone self-taught become a successful 3d designer without the lessons and guidance of a teacher?
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
irishman_team_kilber
in reply to: Anonymous

michele bousquet is the best the rumour is she helped design 3ds max before autodesk took it over from discreet, so i would look up some of her books the problem is as 3ds max is an animation program and modeling program so you would not able to stay away from animation, most books contain animation.

it also depend on what you are wanting to do with 3ds max, i cannot recommed any really because we mite be in different industries like most of us on here.

i would recommed buying book second hand, there is never going to be a book that can teach you everything about max because that is impossible, i would first check out youtube which has some great tutorials and the reference files that  come with 3ds max under the help tutorials.

you would need to go down to some big bookshops that you know sell 3ds max books not just buy them online because you mite not like them, look through the books and find them in your own language if english is not your first language if you like them then you can go online and find them second hand.

we all get taught oneway or another you're still learning whether it is in a book or going to school, I guess most of us are shelf-taught, but as you know you cannot pick up a program in a day, months or year, it will take sometime to learn the ins and out of max,

most newbies think they can learn 3ds max in a day which is not possible, and they give up, so i would recommed just getting used to the program!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report