Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blood Cell Material

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Badsmile
1479 Views, 5 Replies

Blood Cell Material

Hi Guys,

i set up a scientific scene with blood & tumor cells. I am very happy with my tumor-material so far, but i cant manage to create a decent material for the blood cells. Most tutorials i read had very bad/unrealistic results.

I found a stock-picture which looks nice, especially with those refractions, but i have no clue how they did it. All my (semi-)transparent and falloff-materials looked shitty.

I attached my scene, a screenshot and the stockphoto to this thread.

My setup: 3ds max 2013 / Mental Ray

cheers Criss

scene_8.zip

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
eodeo
in reply to: Badsmile

Use A&D material and play with translucency setting.

The pic posted clearly uses fresnel falloff for either reflection,refraction, translucency or any combination of the 3. You can use "falloff" map with the fresnell setting to simulate that look.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Message 4 of 6
eodeo

Neil to the rescue!

I forgot that you had those very helpful tutorials.
Message 5 of 6
Badsmile

first of all, thanks for the replies!

I played a little with the luminosity and fortunately understand now what the difference between transparency and luminosity is. Your BloodCell looks also very nice Neil, but it still has too much of that comic-style, which i dont want.

Right now my picture looks like this (see attachment), which is ofc way better than the one in the first place, but now looks to glassy...not really biological

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

You need to reduce the strength of the reflections if you wnat less reflectivity. If you have this as a falloff material make the white swatch a darker shade of grey.

You really have a lot of options. Probably your best option is to create a blend material with a completely transparent material in one slot and the existing material you want in another. Use a falloff material in the mask slot to mix the 2 materials. This gives you a loto of control.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report