Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad vieport performance on high polling rate mouse (1000hz)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1953 Views, 4 Replies

Bad vieport performance on high polling rate mouse (1000hz)

I'm having the following troubles with 3Ds Max:

When I orbit / move in view port, even on empty scenes, it lags/stutters like crazy, it's almost unusable. Strangely if I select an object I can move / orbit fine without lag.

I've searched for a solution for many weeks now, tried all kinds of fixes like adding variables to SYSTEM, reinstalling and rolling back display drivers or changing them within max viewport customization. Nothing has helped.

Then I found an old help post about the same issue where someone suggested the mouse polling rate is the culprit. I've changed the polling rate to 125hz and suddenly the issue completely disappears! I couldn't believe it but apparently the polling rate really was the issue.

It's very common for mice to have high polling rate these days, I can't believe there is no fix for this? If one exist please tell me, it can't be that the only way to use max is on 125hz polling rate.

Please if anyone knows a fix so I can keep my mouse at 1000hz and have no lag please tell me.

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Diffus3d
in reply to: Anonymous

It may be common to have a high polling rate for games, but it's not super useful for anything other than games.  A higher polling rate will use more CPU resources as the CPU has to query the mouse for its position more often.  I use 1000 mhz and have no problems, but it doesn't help anything in max at all

• Maybe whatever mouse software manages your mouse is somehow conflicting with 3dsMax.  (I'm on red dragon, cheap.) 
  • I don't use the viewcube and maybe that's also a part of it? 
  • Maybe the UI now has to wait for the mouse to update the viewport for whatever reason.
  • Maybe the software driving the mouse is interpolating to get to 1000Mhz and slowing your processor down.  Who knows.  (I'm betting it's the software driving it that's the culprit)

Any mouse that can adjust the polling rate can create a profile.  Make just 2 profiles, 1 for working and 1 for gaming.  Then you can switch with the click of a button.  

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread
Message 3 of 5
spacefrog_

It's part Win 10 and part 3ds Max's fault. Just google for high polling rate mice killing performance and causing other lag issues on various software when running under Win 10, its all over the web ( Win 7 did NOT have this problem ).

I changed my polling rate from 1k down to 250, and guess what: my general windows do NOT lag behind any longer when i move them arround  ( this is outside of 3ds Max - standard application windows - even file explorer windows )

Reducing the polling rate to 250,  completely cured my viewport orbiting lags and my animation playback issues within 3ds Max  ( previously anim playback completely halted while moving the mouse fast arround )

In 3ds Max , the cause for the viewport lag is a badly, dirty coded transform coordinate update routine that refreshes the mouse world-position coodinates in the bottom status panel. And it only happens when nothing is selected, because only then, the world position of the mouse cursor are displayed. It does not happen while the transform coordinates of an object are displayed

You can stop those refreshes using the following maxscript snippet

DisableStatusXYZ()

but from time to time ( after switching between command panel modes ) it turns itself on again

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 4 of 5
sebasrojas00
in reply to: spacefrog_

I was faced with the same issue with a Steel Series Rival 3 wireless mouse, excellent mouse by the way. I don't game, just wanted a wireless mouse not too expensive but light and good quality and this one has met my expectations. But I noticed that in 3ds max when I dragged to select or rotated the view with no objects selected it lagged, but it didn't do this when an object or objects were selected. I tried changing the view port drivers to legacy Open G L and it worked but with complex scenes the objects lagged so it wasn't a good solution so I reverted to Direct 3d. I tried using my old Microsoft mouse (wired) and no lag, so my suspicions were confirmed that it was the wireless mouse. The Rival mouse comes with a very good software where you can change many parameters and create profiles, so I lowered the polling rate to 125 and the lag was gone. But then I came across your answer and applied the script and incremented the polling rate to 1000 and no lag. I also checked for CPU usage with different polling rates and I didn't see any, maybe it's a driver problem in 3ds max because in Windows and all the other apps I use I don't have lag or response issues with 1000 polling rate. So thank you for the script, I just hope I wont have to run it too often, otherwise I'll just lower the polling rate once again. Cheers!

Message 5 of 5
HVAC-Novice

Since W10 was brought up, does the problem exist on W11 as well?

Revit version: R2025.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report