Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animated transitions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
papaf1
457 Views, 5 Replies

Animated transitions

I'm not sure if there is a correct category for this, but does anyone have any idea how those nice transitions they use on the news are done? Do they use an animation package, after effects or is there special software that does it.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
Autodesk Inventor & AutoCAD
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
Dual Intel Xeon 2.83 E5440 GHz
8.00 GB of Ram
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: papaf1

It is my understanding that the major assets like the fly-in logos like "KOMO NEWS 4" are originally built in 3ds Max or Maya.

The text graphic overlays (the lower 3rd name titles) are built in After Effects on standard templates.  You could also make a simple .PNG in Photoshop but the text wouldn't be animated.

Each of those are saved in 1920x1080 (16:9 HD) or 1280x720 (16:9 SD) or 720x480 (4:3 SD) depending on the size needed.

Then those are laid over the footage in Premiere or Final Cut Pro.  (You don't want to edit in After Effects because for some reason the audio doesn't work unless you are doing a RAM Preview.  This eliminates "scrubbing" which is pretty essential to video editing.)

Good luck.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I guess it dependson what you mean by "transition".

A lot of broadcast graphics eye-candy is handled by dedicated hardware and/or software that mixes streams of video.

The moving/overlaid elements are generally pre-rendered in the renderer of your choice with an alpha transparency background to facilitate overlay. More sophisticated hardware/software generates the animated sequences on the fly from a range of templates.

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 6
papaf1
in reply to: Anonymous

I had seen an animated transition or maybe it was an animated lead in to a section of a video, that looked like it had streaks or lines originating from one spot and arcing into the scene then each line burst into text or words like bullets points to the next video section. I was just wondering if there was special software that did this or would these be created and animated in AE, 3ds Max or Maya.

D.R.
3ds Max 2014/2017
Autodesk Inventor & AutoCAD
HP xw8600 Workstation
Windows 7 64Bit
Dual Intel Xeon 2.83 E5440 GHz
8.00 GB of Ram
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Sounds like After Effects to me but it could been done in any one of a number of motion graphics content designers...including Max , Maya and Flash if you were prepared to figure out out to achieve what you want to see.

My guess would be After Effects or Apple's Motion.

A quick internet search for Motion Graphics Software will throw up more possibilities.

Hope this helps

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Yeah, without seen it, it sounds like After Effects.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report