Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An error has occured and the application will now close

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
3305 Views, 2 Replies

An error has occured and the application will now close

This is what I get when I want to open a previous saved max file on https://www.dropbox.com/s/tprda6wiad5o88e/2015-12-10.png?dl=0. To be clear, I checked hours for posssible solutions. To name some of them:

• updating drivers
  • installing latest service pack (2)
  • Clean uninstall and reinstall of max
  • updating windows

None of those works!

I have send the file to a friend who also uses windows 10 and the same max version and he can open it without a problem. So the file is not corrupted. He send me one of his max files made on his pc and I cant open them either, same error.

The only solution I found is merging the file with a new max file and that seems to work, for a while. But I loose a lot of time with it and this is not how this programm should work.

I beg you, please find me a solution. My finals are coming close and I really need this software.

Best regards

Bram

System information

HP Zbook 15 G2

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard M70 Ver. 01.12, 9/23/2015

Name Intel(R) 8 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller

Using 3dsmax 2016 student lisence

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

I know it might seem a bit extreme, but if your Laptop has a recovery partition and it is not (too) much hassle and considering you have tried most everything to solve the problem... perhaps a factory reset of the laptop is the last step? I know it hurts, but at least you'd know for certain that you've tried everything and it had to come to this.

I see you have Steam, Adobe CC, Blender and a few others... so hopefully it won't be too much hassle.

Hardly the most technical of solutions, but if you've already spent hours trying to fix it another hour factory resetting the laptop could be worth the effort.

It goes without saying that you should backup as much as possible, and even take a screenshot of your Windows add/remove programs list so you can remember which things you had installed.

I/O Bit uninstaller (Free version) has a batch uninstall utility that is very handy for removing bloatware from a factory state laptop.

http://www.decrap.org/ is also handy for cleaning up big name brand PCs straight from the first boot.

As for touchpad drivers, media key drivers and other bespoke OEM drivers you are best installing from the manufacturers site. Driver backup utilities may seem like a good idea, free or purchased, but I suggest you keep away from them. They can cause an untold number of problems.

Another useful resource is a great site called https://ninite.com/ 

This site can create a little application to automatically download and install a selection of user favourite apps, simply by launching the utility and waiting for it to install everything unattended. Really saves time.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

First of all, sory for the late reply, wasn't abe to get a wifi connection for a couple of days due to no wifi in the area :). Before I tested the possible solutions you gave me, I did a super uninstall. Instead of only using the uninstall software option on windows (wich I did before), I also deleted every folder in my programfiles and program folders on my pc with the name Autodesk. Than I did a clean install and everything is working fine now. So problem solved.

Thanks for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report