Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpha with transmission

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Dchimenti
154 Views, 2 Replies

Alpha with transmission

It's my understanding that, when using a high number in transmission (to simulate glass), one can see translucency represented in the alpha channel. And to achieve this, you have to assign "Arnold properties" to the object and make sure "opaque" is checked under General Properties.

This is not working for me.  The alpha is always solid white and does not show any translucency. What Am I missing? Has something changed?

I guess I have to mention that I'm using Gamma as my color manager.  I've had this particular detail screw me up in the past.

I've attached the simple project I'm working with.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
MartinBeh
in reply to: Dchimenti

Not sure this helps but looking at https://help.autodesk.com/view/ARNOL/ENU/?guid=arnold_user_guide_ac_transmission_ac_transmission_opa... I found this comment:

Transmission and Alpha

If you want to see transmission in the alpha channel, enable transmit_aovs (under transmission of standard_surface. And if you're using a skydome_light, set its transmission to 0.

Actually not sure how this translates to the shaders used in 3ds Max but maybe it is a step in the right direction..? 

Martin Breidt

http://scripts.breidt.net

EESignature

→ please 'Like' posts that are helpful; if a post answers your question please click the "Accept Solution" button.
Message 3 of 3
Dchimenti
in reply to: MartinBeh

Getting close. I'm getting transparency but it doesn't properly represent reflection or highlights.

I'm using Arnold lights

Dchimenti_0-1724781140267.pngDchimenti_1-1724781228477.png

I also can't alter saturation of the transmission color without dramatically altering the alpha transparency.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report