Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aligning poligons in UV editor

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
19533 Views, 7 Replies

Aligning poligons in UV editor

I'm texturing a building in 3ds max 2014 and would like several polygons to use the same texture space. Is there a way to align polygons to, say, their left edge without changing their shape? When I select two polygons and click "Align horizontally to pivot" they get reduced to a single line.

Thanks

Matt

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You will need to align the uv's not the polygons. Apply an unwrap uvw to your mesh, open the uv editor and there you will have the possibility to move and align the uv's of your model.

This is a very simple explanation for something with lot of theories.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/3DSMax...

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for your input but I probably didn't make clear what I meant. I applied the unwrap UVW modifier and I'm already in the UV editor. I'm just looking for a way to align two polygons (or their UVW's - for lack of a better word) with the click of a button or two. I used "unfold mapping" and then "pack normalize". Now I'd like to align them to one of the edges. Is there a way to do that, except manually that is? I also attached an image to illustrate what I mean.

Thanks again

Matt

Message 4 of 8
ekahennequet

Hi.

The Align tools you used are for aligning UV vertices, not for UV Elements. UV align tools in Max could use improvements. There isn't a set of align tools in UV Editor equivalent to the ones found in the Main UI. In cases like yours, I use the snap settings in the UV Editor.

In Edit UVW Window:

-Turn on "Select by UV Element"

-Switch to UV Vertex mode. UV snap isn't supported in other UV sub-obj modes.

-Turn on Grid Snap

-Go to Options > Preferences > Misc. Preferences and make sure "Edge Snap" is on and choose OK.

-Select and drag the left-most vertex of the UV element that you want to align and snap to the UV Edge that you want to snap to.

(See attached pic)

You should now have the UV edges aligned. At this point you can turn off Snap and Shift + Move your UV Element up or down.

Message 5 of 8
belazzer

Hi! 

I had the same question and the simlest solution I could found is to apply "Align horizontally to pivot" (and get UV-polygons reduced to a single line) and then apply "Relax Until Flat" or "Relax: Custom". For me it works fine. 

I hope that 3 years later it still can be usefull to someone )

Message 6 of 8
pablovidaure
in reply to: belazzer

Thank you so much for the trick! its 2020 and I really was in teh need so never too late 😄

I really wish there was a tool to aligh poligons by center and then completelly match aligning vertex.

I could not believe my eyes when I saw this done so quickly!! I did align horizontally -->Relax by polygon angles and then align vertically and same relas and tadaaa, all perfectly overlaped!!! perfect for atlasing!!!

Message 7 of 8
Wip3ou7
in reply to: pablovidaure

What you're looking for is called Align to Edge.

In UVW Unwrap / Edit UVWs screen, press 2 to select edges.

Select a single edge you would like the island to stand flat on.

Under the Quick Transform panel in the bottom row of the center column, press the Align to Edge button (it looks like a diamond made of 9 squares standing by its corner atop a dotted line).

Voila.

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Wip3ou7

lol

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report