Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsMax and GSync do not get along. Flickering. Strobbing. "*Fixed*"

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
revel68
1082 Views, 2 Replies

3dsMax and GSync do not get along. Flickering. Strobbing. "*Fixed*"

Changed my setup from my very old Dual Dell 30inch 2560x1600 60hz  + Cintiq 24HD setup to swapping out the middle main monitor for an lg 32GK850F-B  32 inch 2560x1440 144hz GSync monitor in hopes of being able to do digital art and high hz gaming in the same solution.

I got everything set up and going and all seems well. I started 3dsmax and instantly noticed a sort of flickering or strobbing or almost like a "refresh issue" or something. Its subtle. But you see it.  

If I move max to the other monitors its fine.

If i disengage 3dsmax (i.e. alt tab to something else) it stops.  But so long as you are active on Max the screen does this flickering.

I disabled GSync and it fixed it.  

So far this is only in 3dsmax. Apps i've looked for it in are  Photoshop, Chrome, Simplify 3D, Zbrush, General Windows apps.   Premiere.  All are nice and fine.

Ok,  I just found the solution! : 

- Right Click desktop -> NVidia Control Panel.

- go to Manage 3d Settings on the tree on the left

- Click on Program Settings Tab.

In the drop down box you'll see a bunch of apps and 3dsMax is probably not in there.

- Click [ ADD ] Button. Find 3dsmax and add it.

- go to Monitor Technology in the in the dialog below.  Click on the Use global settings and set that to Fixed Refresh.

So far so good for me on this.  I'm going to post the thread anyways so people might find the solution faster than I did by running in to this.  

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mjarzy
in reply to: revel68

Thank you for the solution!

Message 3 of 3
revel68
in reply to: mjarzy

Hey NP.  BTW Just so anybody who runs in to this thread knows.  This applies to other applications as well.  If you have GSync going and detect some annoying flickering in a program you can try the same method for it.

In my case this has often been 3d Printing apps i.e. Prusaslicer.  Infact I have it up right now and its flickering - I just don't care because I don't use it like I use Max. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report