Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max texture display problem

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
13985 Views, 8 Replies

3ds max texture display problem

3ds max version: 3ds max2017 , 3ds max2018 student

GPU: Nvidia 1070 G1

CPU: Intel i7 

Recently,I buy a new computer, and install 3ds max 2017 for work. But when I open the file which I work on the old laptop, the textures are having problem.

The 3.jpg below is the normal display status,you can see the clear picture. But sometime when I open the file,it turn black(1.jpg) ,the both side of the plane are black. You cant see any picture on it but when you render this ,you can see the picture display fine. Only the view port have the problem.

When you turn it to the back side ,it shows the picture again but its opposite (2.jpg).And turn to the back side means the planes are not  show the front to you which mean you are seeing the texture on the back side of the plane .

So you might want to ask the questions like the below :

1. When it happened?

Sometime you open the file its fine, sometime its not. I dont know when it happened.

2. Does it only happened on this file?

No! Every file have chance to showing the problem,and when it happened the only solution is to reboot software.Hope the problem wont show next time.

3. Did you adjust any setting ?

No,the only thing I do is create the plane and give it the texture. No Vray or other setting adjust at all. I even uninstall the whole Vray to try this              ,it still fail.

4. Do you update the system ?

After several trying,I uninstall 3ds max2017 and install  3ds max2018 student version ,the newest version to try it ,it still fail. I also update the GPU to the newest version 385.41. And it still not work.

After all,this is not a very serious bad problem. You can still solve this by rebooting. And its still workable even you dont deal with this problem, just the display problem. But I still want to solve this problem ,its really annoying when you going to work and seeing the problem show again.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

Thank you for the detailed write up.  This is helpful.  I have a few questions and thanks for taking the time to answer them.

1) Is it possible to attach this scene with the textures to a post so I can look around in there?  I can create a private folder if you'd prefer it.  

2) Does it turn black in the middle of working on the file?  Or only on load?

3) If you rotate around a bit are there angles where the texture does show up?

4) If you put a normal modifier on the planes to invert the normals, does it help?

5) Does the problem improve if you reset your user settings?  (See my sig)

6) Does the problem improve if you change display drivers in Max, for example DX9 instead of DX11?  (See my sig.)

7) If you make adjustments to the viewport types, do you see any differences?  (Image below.)

view modes.png

Thank you for taking the time to answer those questions for me. 

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thank you for replying first!!!

Here are the answers to the question,and I also add a new video to show the problem.One is normal,one have problem.

Video link-- 

Normal One: https://youtu.be/VbiukKbr4P8

Problem One: https://youtu.be/A4FxSyuSh9M

(In the video,some plane I have use the "backface Cull")

1) Is it possible to attach this scene with the textures to a post so I can look around in there?  I can create a private folder if you'd prefer it.

Sorry my English is not so good.Do you mean you want the file?

Here is the file I used in the video:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0Vob_47UAJxM3R0Q1hQSjlfTVU?usp=sharing

2) Does it turn black in the middle of working on the file?  Or only on load?

So far its only happened on the begin.

Did not happened in the middle of working.

3) If you rotate around a bit are there angles where the texture does show up?

Like the video showed, it does show a bit texture when rotating.

(I did this move before I reset my user setting,the no.5 question)

4) If you put a normal modifier on the planes to invert the normals, does it help?

It does help! Yes,the picture does show normally when I flip normals.

Looks like the plane just invert itself at the first.

(I did this change before I reset my user setting,the no.5 question)

5) Does the problem improve if you reset your user settings?  (See my sig)

Sorry for my poor Enlish again... I dont know what is sig...

I reset the user setting by deleting the 3ds max file(C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2018 - 64bit\ENU).

Then I open the software again. I create a box but when I put a texture on it , it showed black again.

6) Does the problem improve if you change display drivers in Max, for example DX9 instead of DX11?  (See my sig.)

After I changed display driver to DX9,I try several time to reoot the software(Maybe10 times I think),and the texture is ok to showed everytime,no black texture at all, maybe it really work in this way,I am not really sure.

7) If you make adjustments to the viewport types, do you see any differences?  (Image below.)

Choose the "High quality","DX Mode","Facets","Flat Color",and "Hidden Line" options will make texture showed normally.But if you turn back to the "default shading",and"Standard"  the problem will come back.

After all ,no.4 ,6 and 7 seems can solve the problem.

No.4 can fix the problem after it happened but you will need to do this to every model which have the texture .But if next time I open the software ,and texture is normal again,I will need to turn off all normal modifier again...

No.6 seems can fix it. I am not sure because I only try to open the software less than 20 times. Maybe it will have the problem some day. But why??? Why DX9 is ok but DX11 fail??

No.7 can fix the problem but "default shading",and"Standard" is the most often one I used... Others will turn image black or show wireframe etc.

Is there anyway to solve the problem perfectly ??

Message 4 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Thank you very much for the details @Anonymous, I appreciate it.  

Ok, so I see the problem.  Thank you for the file, it always helps to have something to see.  

Currently "2 sided" is unchecked on the materials, which is the cause of the problem.  You can also use "Self Illumination" to get this to show on both sides.   I tested this and it works for me, can you please try it?  I have some images below.  Either one of them should solve the problem on "Standard" mode.  Thanks!

2 sided.png

self illumination.png

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click "Accept as Solution" on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily and thank you for doing so.

Best Regards,

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Thank you for replying !

Yes, the "Self Illumination" option did work ("2 sided" didnt work) .Thanks for the solution!

But I still have the question, the way that turn on the "Self Illumination" did work but it just like the way that put a normal modifier on models. Its dealing with the problem "after" it happened,did not solve the problem "before" it happened. What I mean is , I am using the DX11 and the Nvidia 1070 ,they are both pretty new software and hardware but the problem still show up even with the equipment like this.  I think the problem is that some texture in the system is not affect with the viewprot default light at the beginning,it is an display error but I dont know why. Is there any possible way to know "why" this happened ? Even solve this at the beginning,make the problem never show again. Is this compatibility problem between GPU and monitor? Or is because my GPU is broken ?

I really want to know "why"?  What cause this problem happened ?

Or maybe I just have bad luck to have this weird problem... 😞

Still really appreciate you for trying to solve the problem,thanks you again.

Message 6 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Hello @Anonymous,

2 Sided worked on every test I did on both W10 and W7, strange that didn't work for you.  

I asked the developers directly about the backside of faces appearing black, and they said this was an optimization change in 2017 to increase viewport performance in certain situations.  They said to use High Quality if you want that back, or the suggestions in my previous message.  Does that make sense? 

Best Regards,

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Ok,I understand.

Thank you for replying the question,and sorry for taking you so much time on this problem. I am really appreciated that you answer the question for all the time.

Thank you very much.

Message 8 of 9
Alfred.DeFlaminis

Please don't be sorry @Anonymous.   I will do anything to help and I don't mind if a thread goes on for 3 pages as long as you are getting the answers you need.  It is my pleasure to help you in any way possible.  Thank you for your kindness.  

If any of the posts in this thread helped you to get the answer you were looking for, please "Accept as Solution" on those post(s) so that people in the future can find an answer faster.  Thank you very much for doing that!

EDIT: You had already done that!  Thanks!  

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Ok ,I see but the problem seems unsolvable for now. So I think maybe its time to end this Discussion .

And

Really really thank you for the help !!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report