Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max and OneDrive

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
tuomas.einamoV2MEV
853 Views, 4 Replies

3ds Max and OneDrive

When I try to open something from 3ds Max (File->Open) and accidentally click a file that isn't stored on my computer, it automatically starts downloading it. After I click cancel on the download, 3ds Max is still stuck for ~20s - 1 min. Is this behaviour caused by 3ds Max or OneDrive? If it is 3ds Max, could you please disable one click download of cloud located files of OneDrive? 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

The "stuck" behaviour is unfortunately a Windows issues. Windows effectively freezes the app interacting with the file manager when opening files. Similarly, if you drag and drop a file from chrome to open in max, chrome will freeze until the file is open. The auto-download on click will likely be a OneDrive issue (i don't use it but there might be a setting to disable this). Max doesn't govern the behaviour of the file manager (explorer) on windows in that way. 

Message 3 of 5

After more testing it seems that it is the preview window that causes this. Programs with no preview possibility don't cause this behaviour. 

Would it be possible to disable the preview window from the open file dialog of 3ds Max?

Message 4 of 5

Hi @tuomas.einamoV2MEV,

Thanks for sharing your issue with us.

Did you see our article here about cloud and network locations? LINK

Cloud locations such as OneDrive are not recommended.

You can request better support in 3ds Max ideas HERE, but for now I would advise not to work on any files in locations like OneDrive and DropBox until they are properly supported.

Sorry I cannot help you be more mindful of where you click!

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5

I've been working out of Onedrive for a while and what I do is when I go to open a file I view folder "Details" instead of thumbnail views.  The file will download in Onedrive (usually in a couple seconds) and then open right away.   Depending on the size of your file and the speed of your internet connection, it should work for you as well.  However if your files normally take 20s to 1min to download then everything is actually working as expected.

Best Regards,

Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

View Max Tips/Tricks Megathread

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report