Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds max 2024 New Slate Material Editor bug

83 REPLIES 83
SOLVED
Message 1 of 84
krll_3dsmax
11745 Views, 83 Replies

3ds max 2024 New Slate Material Editor bug

The "Show material in the viewport" button on the SME Main ToolBar does not work, there are no Realistic and Shaded display modes

krll_3dsmax_0-1681290349779.png

83 REPLIES 83
Message 21 of 84
fixonu4
in reply to: RobH2

And now try to do the same only if Multi/Sub-object. Just do the same as in the screenshot.

Message 22 of 84
RobH2
in reply to: krll_3dsmax

I'm able to confirm now what you are reporting. 2022 and 2023 perform as expected but the new implementation of Slate in 2024 does manfunction. Fortunately Giuseppe and the team have acknowledged it and hopefully will address it. For now we'll have to endure it. I hadn't noticed it as I always have an IPR render running on a side monitor to view my texture adjustment in real time. 

I'm glad you pointed this out though so that it can get addressed. I'm sure a lot of users use Slate the way you do. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 23 of 84
fixonu4

This problem manifests itself not only in this case. So far I haven't had time to understand the structure of how this bug manifests itself in other cases. But it seems that textures that are connected to different materials may also have problems displaying.

Message 24 of 84
conceptark

In slate editor, As soon as the material is a bit complex (multisub or colorcorrection, etc.) the display of textures seems impossible. I use FstormRender (GPU renderer). (There are other fStorm users who have also reported the problem to me).

It work SOMETIMES only with simple material. BUT it works EVERYTIME when i use compact editor (i don't like compact editor).

Everything worked wonderfully in 3ds Max 2023, I think I'll go back to 2023 while waiting for a patch

Message 25 of 84

Its even worse in 24.2. Not working in context menu as well as through the button. Seems like it working only with one map assigned to the material. Both for the Corona/Vray renders, no difference 

Message 26 of 84
jbclerc

absolute joke... one thing to correct or at least nothing to do... they managed to make it worse. Absolute genius.

Message 27 of 84
altshift.de
in reply to: jbclerc

I didn't believe my eyes...
Message 28 of 84
RobH2
in reply to: katserge

Obviously, Material Editor needs some love. Let's hope Max 2025 brings us a version that is truly fully functional. I don't imagine we'll get another patch to fix it before then since the .2 patch just came out. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
Message 29 of 84
fixonu4

Maybe there will be a hot fix?

Message 30 of 84
altshift.de
in reply to: fixonu4

..It has to be a hotfix. This is not acceptable.
Message 31 of 84
fixonu4

After working in the last update, I realized that sme is broken, it is impossible to work normally in it. The navigator does not display the screen correctly. If you accidentally placed materials far apart on the canvas, it will be very difficult to find them. I don't remember if it was possible before to double-click on the wheel to show the entire canvas, now it's not for sure. It's a shame that I've already started several projects in this version of max and now I can't go back to 2023.Снимок экрана 2023-11-24 211448.jpg

Message 32 of 84
darawork

I never install odd numbered releases. It's just something that I don't do, down to superstition or something. Hopefully 3DSMax 2026 will have a good SME. 🙁

Also, to anyone experiencing problems with 3DSMax, Please remember to report all bugs to Autodesk via the '3DSMax' Help Menu -> Product Feedback -> Report a problem. And also use the main Autodesk Support page for specific one to one help. Your product license includes 24/7 support. 

Regards, 

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 33 of 84
in reply to: conceptark

Yes, I also found the same problem

Message 34 of 84
altshift.de

Hey Autodesk, can you please react? I would love to use the software I am paying for. Thank you!

Message 35 of 84
RobH2

I don't work for Autodesk, I'm just a user like you. But, don't expect Autodesk to weigh in here as this is primarily a User to User Forum. On occasion someone official will pop in, but it's not often. If you want direct dialog with Autodesk, report it and search the Autodesk site for other places where they offer support directly. 

In all fairness, even with the bug, the software works well. This bug does not prevent use of the software, it just limits some functionality that is not fatal. There are 100s of bugs in all software, they get repaired eventually but it can take time. You have to embrace that as a fact or you will just be angry all the time. I encourage you to report this. 

Bug Reports:
https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 36 of 84
infoTP6WE

so, the same shader:
compact editor -> Show shaded material in viewport button is working

slated editor -> not working

it is a BUG, nothing else, and those people can't figure it out in a year. for hundreds of euros i only got new bugs..

@infoTP6WE - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 37 of 84

The feature works when a bitmap is connected to a single material, but it doesn't if it's connected to 2 or more materials. There's a problem with the menu that should allow you to select which material to apply the setting. This menu is not showing.

We will release the fix in a future release.

@infoTP6WE  I think insulting is not acceptable. You can be angry and disappointed, but there's a line here.

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 38 of 84
RobH2

@infoTP6WE   Unacceptable language and mentality. All software has bugs that get fixed someday. Max works perfectly for millions of other functions. This one is not critical to functionality, it's just a convenience.

Please vent your frustration a different way and not here like that. 

Edit: This post will be confusing because the offensive language has been removed by moderators. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

Message 39 of 84

So there will be a fix in a future release? What does that mean? Like Max
2025? When? Or will there be a hotfix? This is so so so so not acceptable.
We are using this feature on a daily basis. This is not just a hobby for me
and my studio.

You are totally right. Insulting is crossing a line.

But treating your customers needs the way you do - for years now - is
another line.

Hoping for an answer.
Message 40 of 84

I'm sorry, but legally I cannot say or promise anything about fixes and features.

I understand the frustration and I deeply apologize for that. I can assure you that we are doing our best.

I always suggest entering the beta program, where you can test versions of Max in development. The benefits are multiple. You can try earlier new features, discover defects or blockers, and have a closer conversation with devs.

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report