Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max 2023 crashes with XRefs

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
briareos_kerensky
300 Views, 1 Reply

3ds Max 2023 crashes with XRefs

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems loading files in all versions of 3ds Max 2023 (vanilla, 2023.1, 2023.2, 2023.2.2) and all versions follow the same pattern, and I can recreate the problem on multiple computers under different conditions (files loaded from either network or local drives, compressed .max files or not).

I cannot share any file due to confidentiality, but here's a rundown of my working set-up: I have a set of aircraft components (fuselage, wings, cockpit, landing gear) that are loaded into scenes using XRefs. These components are quite large (around 3GB of data of compressed Max files, plus a few hundred MBs of textures).
In other scenes, in addition to the aircraft I load airports and terrain, still as XRefs.

Scenes take a while to load, but this system has worked well ever since 3ds Max 2014, up to 3ds Max 2022.

The error:

I open 3ds Max 2023 and try to load one of the heavier scenes (aircraft, terrain, airport): the program crashes, every single time: "An error has occurred and the application will now close". Trying to load the backed-up scene ends with the same error.

Now, I reopen 3ds Max 2023 and load a simple scene (aircraft only); the scene loads. I then load the heavier scene, the heavier scene loads correctly.

I'm kinda stumped on why this is happening, previous versions of 3ds Max never behaved like this. I'd would be almost fine if each scene didn't take 5 minutes to load, or that this loading problem is actively preventing me to use Deadline for network rendering: 3ds Max crashes on load, and Deadline flags the job as failed.

The log file doesn't show anything, the last two lines are about loading the file and about Populate data. I attached both log and minidump to this post.

I've also opened another thread that might be related to this but haven't received a reply yet:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/3ds-max-2023-2-can-t-read-read-write-file-max/td-p/1144...

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Bump for help...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report