Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Color Picker

105 REPLIES 105
Message 1 of 106
open-range
7854 Views, 105 Replies

2024 Color Picker

The color picker in Max 2024 has changed. It's driving me kind of mental. 

Selecting the top buttons Scene or Display is confusing. Regardless of which is selected the spinners do not seem to work independent from each other. For instance, adjust value spinner and then saturation spinner gets changed also. Certain values will not stay put. Like Saturation will accept 188 and 255 but not anything in between. Weird and frustrating.

Does anyone know a way to get the old simpler and better (imo) color picker back in Max 2024?

105 REPLIES 105
Message 21 of 106
open-range
in reply to: open-range

OK that’s good news. Thanks so much for the update! Very helpful to know it is being addressed

Message 22 of 106

Great to hear, but if you say "a future update", i truly hope you mean in the next patch, because in my humble opinion it should be a 0 day patch, this "feature" just broke 3dsmax 2024 making it not usable for rendering. It seems Autodesk just likes to add new features to its house but the house is full of cracks to begin with.  🙂

Message 23 of 106

Same issue here. We can exactly reproduce it with values from 15-20 not being accepted.
Very annoying and a deal breaker for us, which stops us from using 2024 in production.
Message 24 of 106

Your first priority should be DON'T MAKE IT WORSE.  Which is what you did.  If you redesign the Color Picker, then you TEST the color picker.  VRay is the main renderer, so it must be tested, and it clearly wasn't because you can tell it's broken after 5 seconds, this isn't some obtuse glitch.  Not thoroughly testing something you redesigned is absurd. 

Message 25 of 106

You are right, and we are working close with Chaos to prevent this situation to happen again.

-Giuseppe

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 26 of 106
dean_punchard

Any news on a patch for this?

Message 27 of 106

Are you working quickly to fix the current situation??

Message 28 of 106
fabio.bellato

quindi? qualcuno di chaos o di autodesk potrebbe interessarsi al problema ? io sto lavorando con il 2023 da quando hanno rilasciato la 24 e' una cosa accetabile? 

Message 29 of 106
oakcorp

It looks like the new 3ds Max 2024.2 Update doesn't fix it either.
What's happening?

Message 30 of 106

@Anonymous, legally we can't provide updates or promise any fix, so we couldn't say more than what we said before.

Today we released Max 2024.2 with the fix for the issue. The sliders should move correctly. There may be some glitch in the Alpha slider, but it should not be exposed to VRay. We are looking into that separately.

@oakcorp, what is the problem you are facing? Can you post a video or some sites so we can investigate?

Thanks!

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 31 of 106

That is more than ok ,this is the most failed launch ever. You fixed nothing dude, you've broken the software for the majority of render artists that use vray + max by implementing a feature almost no one cares, without leaving an option to use the old one....you know, just in case its buggy. So what can I say. You either don't care, or your developers went to school for nothing if they could not fix this issue since 2024 launched. So great, I'm stuck rendering in 2022 and modeling in 2024. Thank you so much for the support!

@inafaracutieiT9P25 - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 32 of 106

If anyone is looking for a temporary fix, Corona color picker does not work either, so its not just v-ray at fault here . If Giuseppe can't promise anything, then most likely they won't fix it.

Message 33 of 106
open-range

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for the update. Sounds like progress and a partial fix.

There may be some glitch in the Hue and Sat sliders, but they should not be used with VRay. We are looking into that separately.”

I cannot understand why you say hue and saturation should not be used with Vray? I use that all the time. As a Vray user, if I cannot adjust a colors saturation then Max 2024 will continue to be unusable for me.

Respectfully, I hope you may be incorrect in stating that.

Message 34 of 106

Yes, I wrote something wrong. My apologies. I meant to write the Alpha slider.

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 35 of 106
open-range

OK and thanks!

Message 36 of 106

If you have the chance to try the latest update, please let me know if you still find it’s not working. Thank you!

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 37 of 106
open-range

I will give it a go and report back!

Message 38 of 106

Here is a screen capture.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SkX5DmyfuNqoEQsarbLE3TjGlyu5iCcd/view?usp=sharing

What is the point of having a video made when you can just try it out and see what happens?

On the contrary, please share a video of it working correctly in your environment. Please.

Message 39 of 106

Thank you for the video.

What you see there is a precision issue. Those values are so small that VRay doesn't register them, thus when you re-open the UI, they are back to zero. For a Scene value of 4, the Display value is smaller than 0.000. If you notice, a Scene value of 9 is the minimum to force VRay to record the values. 

The practical effect of this is that small values like 4, are equivalent to zero, in terms of visible colors.

We are talking with Chaos to increase the precision in the Color Picker and avoid confusion with values.

Please report to us any issue you see.

Thank you for being vocal about this problem, it's constructive feedback.

-Giuseppe

Giuseppe Schiralli
3ds Max - QA Analyst>
Message 40 of 106

Same issue here after update to 2024.2

If you set the values for R,G and B to 0, and then try to change the brightness by increasing the value, nothing is happening until you type in 15. When you close the window and reopen the color picker, the value is not set at 21.

It's madness.
The shift in brightness between 0 and 15 is very drastic. To me, there is no way of fine-tuning the look of a material in 2024. So, back to 2023 I guess.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report