Community
3ds Max Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boat-on-water tutorial?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JonasUssing
909 Views, 5 Replies

Boat-on-water tutorial?

Hey all, I seem to remember an old Max tutorial about setting up some dynamics to make a boat follow the wake of the water.

It involved a spring or damper or some other dymanics object, and I'm really curious about how to use that technique.

Can anyone find this tutorial? I seem to remember it as a tut that came with Max, but it's not with my Max 2008.

- Jonas
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Tim_Wilbers
in reply to: JonasUssing

The tutorial is from Max 7, but it is about the "Boat Splashes" using PFlow.

The printed tutorial does not give any info for the setup of the boat, but all the pieces are there.

6690_jkct0TqhwpsSlpwXrju3.zip

Message 3 of 6
JonasUssing

The tutorial is from Max 7, but it is about the "Boat Splashes" using PFlow.

The printed tutorial does not give any info for the setup of the boat, but all the pieces are there.
Thank you!

That's exactly the one I was thinking about!

Except I'm certain there also was a tutorial about the setup of the boat. I guess I'll just have to decipher that file.

Thanks a bunch,
- Jonas
Message 4 of 6
JonasUssing

Got it!

Create a dummy with an "attach" constraint, attaching it to the ocean surface.
Link boat to dummy.
Make point in the air above boat, link point to dummy.
Give boat "lookat" controller, look at point.
Create gravity Force
Give point a "spring" controller (under "position constraints").
Add gravity as a force to the spring controller.

I think that's it. 🙂

Thanks for the help

- Jonas
Message 5 of 6
JonasUssing

OK, I think I came up with something better:

Create two dummies, one for each end of the ship.
Use attachment controller to attach them to the water surface.
Create a third dummy, use Position Constraint to dynamically position it between the other two dummies.
Add a lookat constrant to the third dummy, have it point at one of the other two.
Link the boat to the middle dummy.

Voila. 🙂

It will keep the boat rocking with the waves, but controlled by the two ends, so it doesn't turn too fast, or dip in the water.

- jonas
Message 6 of 6
RobH2

So what I'm taking away from this is that Max cannot solve a buoyant object floating in/on a fluid? I guess that's why there is Real Flow, it does that, correct?

I ask because I'm working on a boat model. I have very little fluids experience and I've begun to think about how I'm going to "float the boat." I guess I can't do it natively in Max without faking it. 

Rob Holmes

EESignature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3ds Max (2023-2025), V-Ray 6.2, Ryzen 9 3950-X Processor, DDR 4 128MB, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master motherboard, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Space Pilot Pro, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor, Cintiq 13HD, Windows 11 x64
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report