Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Reset 3D extents (Grids)

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
25601 Views, 22 Replies

Cannot Reset 3D extents (Grids)

I cannot reset the 3D extents of a single grid line. I am out of ideas after checking the main culprits. Any and all ideas would be appreciated, lets hope it is something obvious I am missing! 

To dodge some of the initial questions

• The crop view is well away from the grid
  • I have reset to extents via the right click menu
  • I have propogated extents
  • I cannot maximise extents (greyed out)

let me know whatelse you need to know. Image attached is what i see at the moment. the 2D is greyed out and i cannot select the 3D circle extents. 

I have tested another new grid in the same view in the same area. I can convert it to 2D and back to 3D with no problems. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

You will not be able to modify the extents of a gridline if it is pinned. Something to check.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

For a second there, you had me excited. But I checked, its not pinned....

Message 4 of 23
chrisplyler

Does it perhaps belong to a linked file?

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

No. I wouldn't be able to move the 2D point if it was in a linked file. It was monitoring a linked file,  but removing that makes no difference in behaviour. 

Message 6 of 23
David_W_Koch

Per your image, this grid in this view is in 2D edit mode, and the 2D extents has been made different than the 3D extents.  In that state, you cannot click on the "2D" indicator to change it to "3D".

To do that, you first have to edit the 2D extents and make them match the 3D extents by dragging the 2D grip over to and dropping it on the 3D extents (the hollow circle to the left of your grid bubble).  If dropped right on the 3D extents, it should toggle back to 3D mode, after which you can edit the 3D extents.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: David_W_Koch

Hi David, thanks for the reply, unfortunately that was the first thing I did and the behaviour I am use to, It doesn't change though, which made me second guess myself, but after checking the help menu, I am doing it right. 

Usually when options A, B, C, D & E don't work, its a glitch... I am wandering if we are approaching that... any other ideas? 

attached a screenshot, i get the word original, so it does detect, but it does not change to 3D, nor does the 2D enable me to click it. remains grey. Tried it with the grid above to confirm, that one works using this process. 

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

ah crap. rookie error. The grid was attached to a scopebox. even though they were on in VG, someone had hidden in view. I re-checked everything again comparing it to the other grids and realised the difference.

thanks all for the assistance. 

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Did you have to disassociate the level with the scope box to be able to edit the 3D extents?

Thank you

Message 10 of 23
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you have to disassociate the level with the scope box to be able to edit the 3D extents?

Thank you

Yes.

Message 11 of 23
chrisplyler

Of course...anything associated to a Scope Box gets its own set of extents driven BY that scope box, separate from the standard 3D and multiple possible 2D extents, and the Scope Box driven extents takes priority.

Message 12 of 23
emmanuelbee
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi, this is an old post but how did you disassociate the grid from the scope box?, I am having the same problem at the moment, I changed my level grids to 2d and now I can't seem to be able to reset it to 3D extents, its greyed out and the grid keeps locking it self every time I unlock it.

Message 13 of 23
cbcarch
in reply to: emmanuelbee

Select it, then in Properties, look for Scope Box, and set to None.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 14 of 23
PDSF
in reply to: David_W_Koch

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm having the same problem. I have tried "dropping the 2D extents on top of the 3D bubble" but nothing happens and it definitely does not reset the grid to 3D. Perhaps obviously, the grids are not locked to a scope box. If anyone can help I could really use it. The grids on this project are a bit out of control and I don't want to spend hours and hours on this. Thanks.

Capture.JPG

Message 15 of 23
PDSF
in reply to: PDSF

I should also mention that I have tried the opposite (dragging the 3D extents on top of the 2D) and that did not work either.
Message 16 of 23
ToanDN

2d and 3d extents have nothing to do with one another. What are you trying to change?
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am encountering a similar situation.

Message 18 of 23
ToanDN

Not clear what you are asking. Start a new thread to refresh it.
Message 19 of 23
Keabja
in reply to: ToanDN

Turn off Crop View and now you can move little blue point to 3D circle og turn 2D to 3D grid.

Message 20 of 23
jbrr27
in reply to: Keabja

Thank you!!! I have been dealing with this issue for several years and never been able to figure out how to fix it.  Turning off Crop View works.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report