Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would I model a cloud-like object?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
issacl14
221 Views, 3 Replies

How would I model a cloud-like object?

I'm trying to model a semi-spherical object with many bumps on it, with the best word I can use to describe it being "cloud-like." How would I do this? Initially, I tried making a 2D cross-section sketch and then extruding it until I realized that that wouldn't work since it would create a more cuboidal object. I know the sphere option is under "Create Freeform" in the 3D Model toolbar, but I can't find the "bulge" option. I know that Blender can do what I'm looking for, but I don't see how I can import a model from Blender into Inventor so I'm stuck trying to do it in Inventor. Heres an example of what I'm trying to do in Inventor, but done in Blender:Blender_08-04-09-142-AM.png

Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Frederick_Law
in reply to: issacl14

Random cluster of random diameter spheres.

IV is "mechanical" CAD.  It'll be difficult to model non-mechanical stuff.

IV can import STEP, Parasolid, IGS, OBJ files.

STL too but it should be last option.

Message 3 of 4
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: issacl14

Try starting a Quadball in freeform with a high number of faces and all symmetries:

Galaxybane_0-1685450928655.png

then pull a face with Transform Mode: All.

Galaxybane_0-1685450736177.png

Once you're happy with your blob, you could copy it into a properly repaired geometry to get rid of the freeform and forget it ever happened:

Galaxybane_0-1685451112615.png

Message 4 of 4
-niels-
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

To add to @Gabriel_Watson 's suggestion: the "soft modification" option might help as well.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report