Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get trail/trace/line between a workingplane and a body that cut eachother

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
a.wassum
291 Views, 8 Replies

How to get trail/trace/line between a workingplane and a body that cut eachother

Hey togehter,

I have a curved body (exteriorplate) that cuts a working plane. I want the trail/trace/line where these to things cut eachother. Im new at Inventor but already used Catia V5 for a longer time.

Im thankfull for every advise ,

Greetings Alex

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: a.wassum

@a.wassum wrote:

I want the trail/trace/line where these to things cut each other. 

Start a new 3D Sketch.

Invoke the include intersection.

Attach your assembly (or a simplified dummy assembly) if you can’t figure it out.

Message 3 of 9
-niels-
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Or start a new 2D sketch on your workplane and use "project cut edges"?

niels_0-1664885722215.png

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 9
blandb

Depending on what exactly you have, if you start a 3D sketch and choose "Intersection Curve". You should be able to choose the surface and the plane > OK. Now you should have a curve that is the intersection of the 2 entities.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 9
a.wassum

Thanks to all of you, appreciate it a lot. At the end I managed to do it with blandb´s solution. The problem was that I tried to do it in an assembly, so I created a simplified part out of my two parts that cut eachother.

Message 6 of 9
blandb

Can you post a simplified example? Maybe there is another alternative for what you are trying to do. My approach was just based on a part, but if you are trying to find a common intersection of 2 parts for example, then there is another way.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! I guess you would like to find the intersection between multiple parts. You can still do it within a part.

Open the assembly and edit a part in place. Go to Modify section -> expand the panel -> Copy Objects -> pick the geometry from another part -> set output = Surface -> check "Associative." Then the geometry will be linked to the edit target part. Then you can create 3D Intersection Curve within the editing part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
a.wassum
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, thanks for your Idea. I wanted to find the intersection between a part and a workingplane, so at that point I couldnt manage to do it with your Idea. But I think the tool you mentioned might be usefull at other problems, thanks!
Message 9 of 9
a.wassum
in reply to: blandb

@blandb 

I have an assembly with assemblies in it. So used one of these assemblies (a frame with tubes) and I made a workingplane based on this frame. Afterwards I wanted to get the intersection between this workingplane and another assembly (a exteriorcover of a car). I managed to get the intersection/trail/trace/line with a 3d-Sketch when I combined the frame and the cover to one part. For me the best solution is an intersection between these to assemblies straight in the whole assembly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report