AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem retrieving x-ref files from zip file sent by Windows user

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
HEIDICLEM
591 Views, 4 Replies

problem retrieving x-ref files from zip file sent by Windows user

My client sends me ZIP files which include the base drawing and all of the external references needed.  Once I extract files, the only one accessible is the main file - the references do not transfer over.  We have gone around in circles on this and I am exhausted of ideas on what is happening.  Any insight from anyone?  I use AutoCAD light for MAC - they are on CAD for Windows.  TIA!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
maxim_k
in reply to: HEIDICLEM

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi Heidi,

Can you explain what is shown on the attached screenshot?
Is it extracted contents of ZIP archive in Finder? I can suspect these files are inside Dropbox folder and red cross means (most likely) that file names contain an invalid character(s):
https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/files-not-syncing

Indeed, look at forward slash in the file names - OS X restricts the use of forward slash characters in file names.
That is why these filed cannot be loaded as Xrefs inAC for Mac. You need to ask your client to rename them and correct Xrefs paths or you have to do this yourself.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 5
pendean

Unless the file sender made an effort to reassign all the xrefs full paths for you, and assuming they sent you all the files in the first place, you are going to have to do the manual fix of reassigning them in the top file yourself.

Unless you want to drop all files (XREF and top file) into one single folder, then AutoCAD will find and load them all for you automatically.

Message 4 of 5
maxim_k

Sorry, I was wrong about forward slash here:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-for-mac-forum/problem-retrieving-x-ref-files-from-zip-file-se...
- it is back slash. But anyway, there is something wrong in filenames or files, extracted inside Dropbox folder was not synced correctly for some other reason.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 5 of 5
HEIDICLEM
in reply to: maxim_k

Thank you!

Renaming the files (removing backslash) and files matching the main x-ref manager worked!  I appreciate the response!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost