Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux

Linux

You need to produce Fusion 360 for Linux/Ubuntu.

253 Comments
schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration
What is it about Linux that you think makes this a compelling target? What distributions would you want us to support?
lure23
Collaborator

To me, OS X support is fine. But if there was Linux support it would allow a wider range of hardware choices. We're keeping clear of Windows on the machines, for ... reasons. 🙂

In the 2015 time frame, I can see something small and awesome coming out from the AMD + Xi3 collaboration. That would be a good time frame for spreading Fusion 360 to the Linux (Ubuntu) market.

Helmi74
Collaborator

Kevin,

hmm to be honest i personally would not see Linux as the next important step to take. It may be a good expansion goal but at the current state of the software from what i can see i would say there are some more important features to add before secondary platforms (and i'd say Linux is a secondary platform for a design and construction tool) are getting important. As far as i know from other developers getting Linux ditributions under the hood and manage a really professional product on a high level is really hard work - dont know how true that is but that would make it a huge step.

Apart from that i think Ubuntu is of course by far the most important desktop distribution right now and surely will be in the near future. 

Personal oppinion on Linux as desktop OS: The forthcomming of Mac OSX after their switch to Intel CPUs has made Linux' life on the desktop even harder. Many geeks switched from Linunx to Mac OSX or directly switched from Win to OSX instead of switching to Linux as Mac OSX simply is the better Unix style OS on the desktop.

AdamEllison
Contributor

There is one really compelling reason to support (at least one) linux distubution: You would be the only mainstream, professional CAD system to do so.

I know that there are many windows users who are stranded on windows only because of their CAD software. If Autodesk were to support all three major OS's, it would definitely be the first affordable and professional CAD package to do so.

I would switch to linux+Fusion360 in a heartbeat if Autodesk supported it.

Please consider this seriously! (look at what Valve is doing with SteamOS for a great example of how and why to take linux seriously).

Jacqui51
Contributor

The reason that I want a Linux (Ubuntu) version is that with my designs some are made on milling machines that have a Linux based controller. It would be easier to stay in the same OS all th way through rather than trying (mostly unsucessful) to switch from Windows to Linux. I have tried Wine but Fusion loses a lot in the translation.

I don't know how hard it would be to produce a Linux version, but as Adam Ellison said, there will be more that would want it and use it.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

There are very few mid range CAD programs for Linux You jump from pretty much Freecad to NX without much inbetween. Autodesk would be smart to start moving towards platform independence and it seems like fusion360 would be a great testing ground.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager
Status changed to: 実装予定
I understand the interest, but the likelihood of a linux version is very low. Marketshare, distribution proliferation and software porting challenges all make this a significant undertaking.
yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

The problem with basing any thought on market share is that the main reason Linux's market share is so small is because of lack of software. If the software was available there would be a much higher percentage of people using it. Look at Apple 15 years ago, they were in the same boat. People were forced away from using it because so much software was only available for Windows.
My company would run 100% Linux if I could find a good and affordable CAD CAM solution.

sanguish
Advocate

id rather see more mainstream work than porting to another OS.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

I am one of those people stuck running a Windows machine just for CAD/CAM when the rest of my home and business runs Linux.
It is one of the most frusterating things I need to deal with on a daily bassis.

huba.czine
Participant

lot of small/medium companies and schools would change to open source if there where some decent CAD/CAM tools available 

robduarte
Collaborator

More perspectives: For a computer lab - especially one in a school that doesn't have a lot of financial resources - Ubuntu is an excellent solution that doesn't require expensive Windows licenses. Ubuntu requires far fewer resources than Windows, allowing more to be done with less (hardware) in those environments. The MIT FabLab project (which has nearly 100 labs worldwide) uses Ubuntu extensively for their digital fabrication work, including the Fab Modules software that Neil Gershenfeld's Center for Bits and Atoms created (as well as other free software including OpenSCAD, Eagle PCB, Kokopelli, Meshlab, and the Autodesk 123D products that run in a web browser). Including Fusion 360 in that setup would be an extraordinary opportunity for students of Fab Academy and other laboratories and schools that have mirrored the FabLab hardware and software configuration. Also, running a Windows lab in an educational environment is infinitely more complex than the simplicity of Ubuntu computers (which can even run from a portable USB drive with extreme ease). Running a lab of MacOS computers has become much more cumbersome than Windows recently, since many applications require the Mac App Store (which makes lab administration a nightmare). These are all reasons why Fusion 360 for Ubuntu would be great in an education environment. Clearly Autodesk has a big focus on education, with all of the free software that they provide to students. On another note, I personally have moved away from MacOS because the high price of their hardware cannot be justified when compared to PC hardware. Apple's focus is clearly on high-level consumer products - they have left professionals (filmmakers, developers, artists, architects, etc) in the lurch as they continue to work at making MacOS more and more like iOS. I can't invest in a company that doesn't support me as a user of their products. The main alternative - Windows - is unbearable.. a constant negotiation of vendor add-ons, Microsoft license warnings, malware, viruses, etc. Ubuntu has proven itself as much more than a last resort - it is simple, stable, secure, friendly to lab environments, and FREE. Please consider adding support for Ubuntu to Fusion 360. Considering the similarities between the Windows and MacOS versions, I have to imagine you are already using cross-platform tools - most of which include Linux as peers with MacOS and Windows. 

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

How hard would it be to start a Linux development port?

The bigger more important question. In this day and age why on earth would you not start with a cross platform system and not have to worry about making various ports?
Is there anything big or challenging seriously holding you back from creating a Linux version?

People say there isn't the demand but if there was no demand would there be a complete distro of Linux devoted to CAE? http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/

The biggest thing it's missing is a solid CAD program.

Woudl there be pages and pages listing CAD, CAM and CAE resources on the internet?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEngineering

Would there be other high level CAE tools that only ran on Linux?
http://www.openfoam.com/

The biggest thing missing is mid range cad programs that fall somewhere between freecad and NX.

schneik-adsk
Community Manager

A lot of interesting perspectives.

The complexity of getting OS X done has been very high and continues to be. CAD technology has been so windows focused every project we take on has a period of time where getting the multi-platform support.

I feel we have to do a much better job with our OS X support where the hardware/software configurations are finite and manageable before we could offer a reliable Linux versions.  The Linux community comes with a big expectation that old/free hardware runs fine. CAD/CAM unfortunately is not a application set that works well on minimum spec hardware. I wish it were not so but we are a long way from that.

This is especially true with OpenGL and getting good OpenGL support across Linux distributions is not there today.

This year has been about getting the thick client technology and applications robust and reliable. We still have work to do there. We have always had a plan for zero client access too. We are getting serious about bringing out this zero client next year.  This might be a way to get Linux support. I can not see us doing a thick client in the near term and doing a good job.

dandroid88
Enthusiast

another vote for a linux port.  It doesn't have to be that hard, and honestly, if you use something like darling there is a decent chance it wont be too hard.  I think its worth noting that a lot of the market for fusion 360 is the startup community because they are not deeply invested in a tool (since they are just starting up) and because of the favourable licensing model.  As more and more hardware startups are popping up (I am a founder at one...) we are building our software on linux to run on amazon and embedded systems and its a giant pain to switch over to windows/osx just to CAD and 3d print.  So much so that I am contributing here and there to freecad in hopes that I will one day not need to even have windows or osx.  While its easy to look at the market size and OS% breakdown for the general public, its naive to think that is representative of your user group.  You would likely see a very different picture if you did some surveys around who uses fusion 360.

dandroid88
Enthusiast

another vote for a linux port.  It doesn't have to be that hard, and honestly, if you use something like darling there is a decent chance it wont be too hard.  I think its worth noting that a lot of the market for fusion 360 is the startup community because they are not deeply invested in a tool (since they are just starting up) and because of the favourable licensing model.  As more and more hardware startups are popping up (I am a founder at one...) we are building our software on linux to run on amazon and embedded systems and its a giant pain to switch over to windows/osx just to CAD and 3d print.  So much so that I am contributing here and there to freecad in hopes that I will one day not need to even have windows or osx.  While its easy to look at the market size and OS% breakdown for the general public, its naive to think that is representative of your user group.  You would likely see a very different picture if you did some surveys around who uses fusion 360.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

I don't know much about darling but I have been very hesitant to mention any emulators or anything similar because in my experience it never works as well but since it's an okay enough solution software companies never put the effort into making a good native option. For this reason I would say jump straight to a good native option. Too many times I have seen Wine or other emulators or virtual machines where a program worked alright until the software brought in a new update, or the emulator updated or you installed new hardware or somethign and then everythign goes to hell.
I would be very very hesitant to switch over to an emulator for those reasons.

jkelindberg
Advocate

I'd love to see F360 for Linux. I use Salome/OpenFOAM on Linux for CFD calculations. Having to switch between Linux and Win/Mac to tweak a 3D-model gets annoying after a while..

patrick.depoix
Community Visitor

Yes like the orthers, I want a linux release of Fusion 360 because now in France alot of architects want to use linux OS.

personnaly I use LinuxMint 17.1 and Draftsight for example.

Draftsight run very well on Linux but you can't make 3D Design with Draftsight. Fusion 360 would be the must on the market today....

Thinck about seriously....

Bye bye

Patrick Depoix

Architect.

yoshimitsuspeed
Advisor

Just spent about 30 minutes removing Vostran from my Windows machine.
Granted it's the first semi serious malware I have had to deal with on one of my own computers because I am pretty careful but this is the kind of stuff I never needed to worry about when I ran Linux.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report