Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIVE tracker trickery

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
bryan_martin_morris
561 Views, 0 Replies

VIVE tracker trickery

Hello,

I have been playing around with VRED 2020 professional and I have been using the OpenVRTracker example file with at least a degree of success, but I need some help getting it to play the way I want it. Ideally this would allow me to do some 'low budget' augmented reality, by attaching a Vive tracker to a camera (GoPro etc..) or even to a drone and then do some video-stream overlays.  

When I attach a camera to the MatrixTracker node, and then view the output in a new render window, all seems to work more or less. I activate OpenVR HMD in the original render window and for one time, and one time only, the camera maps to the tracker and I can view the output in the new render window. Or at least I think I managed this. However the next time I start OpenVR mode, the camera seems to be offset from the tracker (perhaps theres a simple fix in the script).

Ideally it would be cool to be able to view the tracker movement without the need for using OpenVR display mode, somehow (using steamvr null driver perhaps). Effectively, I am trying my best to approximate a real-time camera tracking solution like the one I saw at your VR center of excellence in Munich, just with only HTC vive as I need to build some workcases to justify the investment...

Incidentally, despite much research I guess there's no way to output Vive tracker positions via VRPN, which would perhaps be another way of doing it. I played around a bit with the instrutions at:

http://help.triadsemi.com/en/articles/836917-steamvr-tracking-without-an-hmd

And it looks to me like it should be possible to run a python script using the position output that such a solution shows, but maybe I should just ask the big boss for more money for an ART solution as my maths is not so good as my Python skills in VRED are embryonic.

If anyone has any ideas, i'm all ears...

thanks!

0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report