Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent materials with asm import?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rhackenbruch
394 Views, 6 Replies

Transparent materials with asm import?

Hi!

I am totally new to VRED but am trying to see how it handles some specific data. I can't share the file unfortunately because the data isn't mine to share and can't be shared, but I imported some asm files into VRED and they have materials in the material editor I can edit but the vehicle in the viewport is a translucent gray. I imported just a simple cube (from an fbx) just to see that it wasn't some type of xray view turned on but the cube's material shows up opaque and I can change the color/material attributes and it updates in the viewport just fine. I don't know anything about CAD file types or much about VRED, I am mostly a Maya user but I have used VRED at studios I have worked at previously but only to export tessellated geo out of it. Does anyone know why everything might be showing this translucent material view and how I can get it to show the materials as they are in the editor?

I really appreciate any helps or link to resources, I am just not sure where to look specifically because I am so new to the program.

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi, just to show us something, create a cube in you scene with the vehicle, apply the translucent material from the material editor to the cube.

Delete everything but the cube, or select only the cube and File - Export selected.

Save the vpb file and share it.

So maybe we can see what is happening.

Best

Chris

Christian Garimberti
Technical Manager and Visualization Enthusiast
Qs Informatica S.r.l. | Qs Infor S.r.l. | My Website
Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
rhackenbruch
in reply to: rhackenbruch

The file imported with a lot of different materials assigned, but if I assign any of them to a cube they no longer look transparent, they look as they do in the material editor. I can export that cube to you but it does not show the problem. I understand that may mean no one can help though, unfortunately.

Message 4 of 7

I understand... also a small part, not really strategic is impossible to share?

or at least some screenshots?

Just to figure out where to search the solution.

Christian Garimberti

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
rhackenbruch

Here is a screenshot of a small piece. I can upload just this piece but the drag and drop does not support .vpb files, what would you like it as? The yellowish material is assigned to this piece.Material_Issue.JPG

Message 6 of 7

Zip it befor to drag.

Watching the scenegraph, is this piece inside a MaterialGroup? A material group override the assigned material.

Immagine 2021-03-12 170818.png

If yes, try to deactivate it

Best

Chris

Christian Garimberti

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
rhackenbruch

It is in a material group. I was able to tessellate the surfaces, export as an fbx and re-import and it is now using the materials correctly. I should have tried that before posting. Thank you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report