Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start Cluster Failed

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Christian_Garimberti
903 Views, 8 Replies

Start Cluster Failed

Hi Guys, 

On my Vred pro 2024 the cluster does not start anymore.

Christian_Garimberti_0-1687865575821.png

Christian_Garimberti_1-1687865595782.png

Also deleting the config and creating a new one with only the localhost give me the same errors.

i tried removing all the older versions (2023.4), the new 2024, and reinstalling the 2024.

But nothing change.

I checked the service and it seems to be ok

Christian_Garimberti_2-1687865788662.png

This happens an all the 3 workstation i am testing.

Any ideas?

Best

Chris

Christian Garimberti
Technical Manager and Visualization Enthusiast
Qs Informatica S.r.l. | Qs Infor S.r.l. | My Website
Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Chris,

two things that have been changed with 2024 and must be considered for the future:

Python Sandbox
To avoid the execution of python commands that can call arbitrary operating system commands during file load we implemented a Python Sandbox that can be configured in the Preferences > Script dialog. By default the Sandbox is enabled and File IO, network communication and starting new processes is disabled. The Sandbox can be forced to be enabled by setting the environment variable VRED_SECURE_PYTHON. In addition it is possible to configure exceptions for Python- Modules and Functions.

Cluster Service
VRED uses the program VREDClusterService to provide access to services over the network. We have changed the Cluster Service Configuration to only allow VRED processes to access this functionality and eliminate any security vulnerabilities. As a result, the Status Page, Cluster Rendering, Cluster Manger, Cluster Queue, Server Node, Collaboration and VRPN Server is disabled/blocked by default, and a warning appears when it is enabled.

The setup tool VREDClusterSetup can be used to enable the used services and to configure, which hosts are allowed to use those services. In addition this tool can show log messages or activate and deactivate the windows service. Changes to the configuration file are immediately used after saving the file. A restart of the cluster service is not necessary.

Hope this helps

Pascal

Message 3 of 9
seiferp
in reply to: seiferp

The VREDClusterSetup tool can be found in your install folder

Apps.png

Message 4 of 9

Hi Pascal, configuring with the VREDClusterSetup solved.

For my setup was enough to activate the Cluster Rendering

Christian_Garimberti_0-1687872921217.png

Thank You

I will soon check the python sandbox with my scripts.

Best

Chris

Christian Garimberti

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
mike_jupp

Hi Pascal, is it easy to implement these updates on a Linux cluster with no GUI?

Message 6 of 9

@mike_jupp Please see the online documentation for further instruction on how to setup the Linux Cluster

Message 7 of 9
mike_jupp

Thank Pascal, we are still having issues with disabling the sandbox restrictions in Linux. Can you send me detailed instructions of the correct syntax of the command and where it needs to be set (environment variable or command line)

In addition to the preferences, the sandbox can also be controlled with command line options and an environment variable.

• Use -insecure_python to completely switch off the sandbox.
  • Use -force_secure_python to force the sandbox to be switched on.
  • Set the environment variable, VRED_SECURE_PYTHON, to force the sandbox to be switched on.
  •  
Message 8 of 9

we turn the switch on with 1 or 0 or true or false in the variable?

Message 9 of 9

Hi, like written in the help, VRED_SECURE_PYTHON force the python sandbox with any value.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/VREDPRODUCTS/2024/ENU/?guid=VRED_Python_Documentation_EnvironmentVari...

Best

Chris

Christian Garimberti

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report