Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharp Shadow

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
2062 Views, 2 Replies

Sharp Shadow

Hello everyone. I'm rendering a 3D car scene using a HDR and (DirectionalLight) to catch sun shadow with the shadow plane but for some reason under the car my shadow is too sharp as the image.

Is there a way to soft the shadow?Shadow.PNG

Vred Pro 2015 SR1-SP3.

Thanks! 😉

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
seiferp
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi buletvfx,

to me it looks like that there is a sun in your hdr already but probalbly not bright enough to cause shadow. You are using the directional light to get this effect on the ground plane. Am I´m right?

Right click on your environment in the material editor and select "Boost Light..." Play with the Boost and Treshold values to adjust the HDR to your needs.

Otherwise you should use one of the area lights ( Sphere, Disc or Rectangular) in Raytracing. Scale it to your needs and place it at the position the sun comes from.

Directional, Point and Spotlight are not really working correctly in Raytracing because they refer to one single point which is not existing in the real world. Lightsources like a sun, a bulb or a led light are always (more or less) self illuminating surfaces or objects. 

Cheers

Pascal

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: seiferp

Hello Seiferp! 

Well, I did exactly what you said using a Spotlight in the light editor with the Area light enable and It's working like it should. Now my shadow is nicely soft and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Thank you so much for the help 😉

Soft Shadow.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report