Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeing the full viewport?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Neil_Cross
805 Views, 9 Replies

Seeing the full viewport?

My 21:9 monitor failed last week so whilst I'm waiting for a new one to be delivered, I'm using a pokey 1080p display which has highlighted an issue that I can't figure out.

My Vred application is limited to 1080 pixels in height, but also my render viewport is set to 1080px in height, so I can't actually see the top and bottom sections of what's going to be rendered as it's obscured by the Vred UI and Windows taskbar, it's only a small percentage of the final render that I can't see but there might be something odd there that I need to notice.  Is there any way you can do a 'fit to application' to squeeze/scale zoom the 1080x1350 render viewport window within the viewable area? You can do that kind of thing in Premiere Pro and other editing software, it's just a master zoom type function.

Cheers

Annotation 2020-05-02 124721.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi Neal,

i know that it is not an automatic feature, but you can set your desired resolution in the Vred Preferences and then set the Windows -> Render windows Size -> Use Preferences.

You have to calculate before the values, but until your monitor does not change, i think it is a good solution.

Or you can use the 1280x720 preset, but maybe it is to small to evaluate edge details.

Best

Chris

Christian Garimberti
Technical Manager and Visualization Enthusiast
Qs Informatica S.r.l. | Qs Infor S.r.l. | My Website
Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 10

Hi Chris - that's what I did, I set the resolution in the Vred preferences and then set the viewport to use preferences.  But obviously, I want my viewport to reflect what my final render will be? So I set my viewport to that so that I can create the composition.  Like for example if you set your viewport to 1080x1080 but then do a still frame render to 3840x2160, the subject and camera will look nothing like what you see on screen.

I guess you can maybe manually scale down the aspect ratio, so if 1080x1080 is too big to fit on screen you could put in 800x800 in the preferences, but that only really works well for a 1:1 aspect ration, anything else and you'll need to get a calculator out!

This is the problem, the red dashed line indicates the area of my render that I can't see...

In applications like Premiere Pro, you'd just apply a magnify of 75% to the UI and it'll retain the aspect ration but fit it within the viewport, that's what I'm kinda hoping Vred had that I was missing somewhere...

123.jpg

Message 4 of 10

Hi Neil,

there is no option for this at the moment. The closest you can get to it at the moment is to set Window->Render Window Size to Dynamic Resolution and then go to the Render Settings->Display Output Tab and turn on "Show Snapshot Frame". This will show you a overlay rectangle with the aspect ration you have set under File output. 

Kind regards

Michael

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 5 of 10

Thanks Michael.  So if an artist is working on a 1920x1080 monitor but needs to render a portrait shot (say 1080x1920), is there anything they can do to check the upper and lower quadrants of the frame to make sure there isn't something weird going on there which would ruin the render? Or would you have to do a OpenGL based quick still frame, take a look, adjust, try again, repeat until you do the final pass?

Message 6 of 10

If you need to check your shot you can also go to fullscreen, that in your case is the perfect resolution.

Christian Garimberti

EESignature

Message 7 of 10

@Christian_Garimberti actually not in this case, in that above example the aspect ratio was 1080x1350 (instagram resolution!).  So there was quite a lot I couldn't see, I just cropped it like that as it was easier to show what I meant.  But when the final render happened there was a massive blank area of nothing happening at the bottom of the render which looked terrible - but I couldn't visually cue and check that from the viewport.

Message 8 of 10

Ok, i missed the Instagram resolution ... i'm thinking about a standard fullHD res.
Best
Chris

Christian Garimberti

EESignature

Message 9 of 10

@michael_nikelskymaybe this is where an overscan feature (with pan and scan) would come in handy (I think it is 8+ years and counting on that request)

Anyway...@Neil_Cross as Michael said just use dynamic resolution and display the Show Snapshot Frame. This is how I always work and I do not think I have ever explicitly set the Render Window Size before. You might just need to adjust your Vred UI window depending on the aspect of your actual render dimensions to see the full crop.

Richard

Message 10 of 10
Bob.Bon2000
in reply to: richardlevene

Yo

In camera change this

2020_05_09---17-43-00_capture_869.jpg

Just pick Horizontal/Vertical depending on your "longer/shorter(can't remember)" edge length. The viewport should reveal the correct image that will be the output.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report