Community
VRED Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s VRED Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular VRED topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material groups and shells - need help

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
karlakurz
1883 Views, 11 Replies

Material groups and shells - need help

Good morning everyone,

sun is rising and as well my question:

I opened a catia v5 part in VRED, which went well, and it turned out in separated surfaces combined in the "body note".

below you can also see my import preferences and the overwiev

Tasse_fertig_16.jpgTasse_fertig_13.jpg

The I created material groups and assigned serveral surfaces to them. They appeared in the groups combined to shells.

But why can`t I assign various different materials to the groups?

It turns out, VRED always displays the body in on colour, although the material groups contain different surfaces.

So I did split the surfaces into different material groups but VRED always displays the object in one colour rather than the different parts referring with several colours.

Tasse_fertig_14.jpgTasse_fertig_15.jpg

Whats the matter`?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
marcus_fritzen
in reply to: karlakurz

Hi Karla,

material groups are used to overwrite parts of the scene graph tree with a different material. You need to make sure that the material group has a material assigned. You can do that with drag&drop from the material editor onto the scene graph item.

But normally a material group is not necessary. Simply drag&drop the material onto the render view to assign it to a surface.

Cheers,

Marcus

Marcus Fritzen
Principal Engineer
Message 3 of 12
seiferp
in reply to: marcus_fritzen

As Marcus wrote the material assignment is stored on a Shell level. The Material Group is usually used only for temporary overwriting multiple objects with one material like a clay look for example. So you don´t loose your initial material assignment.

Message 4 of 12
karlakurz
in reply to: seiferp

Hi alltogether,

thanks for your replies. I absolutely agree witg your suggestions and your comments. I did it exactly as you wrot, but it doesn`t work out. I can never colour only parts of the object. Always the whole object is pigmented or inked.

As proof I did a video:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-13511600/Video.MOV.html

Hope, the video is not too bad?

Message 5 of 12
karlakurz

here comes a better video displaying my problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GTx-2CfqI&feature=youtu.be

Message 6 of 12
marcus_fritzen

Video not available...

Marcus Fritzen
Principal Engineer
Message 7 of 12
dangertaz1

I'm having the same issue.  Even when I drag the material directly onto the surface node in the Scenegraph, the material is applied to unwanted surfaces.  I'll provide a video and a file tonight.

Message 8 of 12
marcus_fritzen
in reply to: dangertaz1

How do you do that? Make sure to use a left mouse button drag. If you do it with the middle mouse button you will replace the material in the whole scene and not only on the dropped geometry.

Cheers,

Marcus

Marcus Fritzen
Principal Engineer
Message 9 of 12
dangertaz1

Here is a recording of what happens:

The millennium falcon model is by Joshua Maruska, full credit to him.

I am left mouse dragging and dropping onto the individual surface in the scenegraph, but it still applies the material to the entire group.

Tags (2)
Message 10 of 12
dangertaz1
in reply to: dangertaz1

Message 11 of 12

The objects are clones as it seems, that´s why they are underlined. Clones are using the same model and everything including materials. You can either unshare the nodes that you want to apply different materials to or create a material group above the cloned node and apply a material to this material group.

Kind regards

Michael

Michael Nikelsky
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 12 of 12

Thank you, that worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report